The rising damp myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

D4mp

Hello,

I had a look at a damp job the other day where the lady told me rising damp doesn't exist and she had a book to prove it. She was sure it was condensation, I confirmed rising damp along with a nice salt band of chloride, she said that the book was a waste of money then :)

I still can't believe some idiots actually think it doesn't happen.

Has anybody had a read of the book on the myth of rising damp?

Click the link below, and have a read of this

Rising damp is a myth…You may think so if you read the book, now read this and decide! | Welcome to Complete Preservations blog

Hello,

I had a look at a damp job the other day where the lady told me rising damp doesn't exist and she had a book to prove it. She was sure it was condensation, I confirmed rising damp along with a nice salt band of chloride, she said that the book was a waste of money then :)

Rising damp is a myth…You may think so if you read the book, now read this and decide! | Welcome to Complete Preservations blog

@irsh_spread enjoy yourselves ;)

Can't believe I read all that and still I don't believe it exists there is nothing in it that changes my mind :)

Im not reading all that i dont care if its damp, condensation or the dog keeps pissing there. Something that is a myth though.... Hot housewifes wanting to pay in kind because there short that week.

All the short films i've seen where that happens but not once in real life

Hello,

Lol what a load of bollox it's like your walking down the road and all of a sudden you trip up and whoops here's a book I've wrote lol I went to look at a job and the customer told me it was rising damp and I told her it doesn't exist and I have a set of eyes to prove it, I confirmed it was where her husband had been pissing when he was drunk and she said the book was a waste of money :)

i cant believe some idiot actually believes it exists :)

I am going to site back and watch this because damp knic... damp fascinates me....

Play nice people lets have a good sensible no name call debate.... does rising damp exist???

R.I.C S are split over it,though many now accept it exists.its become a generic term for everything to do with dampness in a wall.

Hello,

Thanks for reading, just shows even when things are published it doesn't mean its true.

I've never seen rising damp though, it's just my imagination :)

RISING DAMP CHURCH.jpg

Im in the "does exist" camp but i'd been told before that it cant rise more than 2ft up above ground level because at a certain point gravity outweighs the draw of bricks/blocks/plaster

Please dont abuse me im just throwing it out there.

* im not a damp expert and never have been.

Can't be arsed. Jeff Howells was not benefitting financially himself when he worked for the council, he was just being honest.

Rising damp lol companies DO gain financially and are just like politicians.

That's it. You've got your explanation

I always assumed RD was a result of bridging or failed dpc etc. Do people actually say rising damp is a problem in itself?

Hello,

Thanks for reading, just shows even when things are published it doesn't mean its true.

I've never seen rising damp though, it's just my imagination :)

View attachment 4351
that picture and the pictures you use in your article don't mean ****, I could grab that picture and write next to it "people pissing on walls next to the red lion is causing so many problems for local priest" you start your article with the word rising damp being used as far back as the 1800 and even in a Shakespeare monologue as if it exists, I bet I could go further back and find the word aliens but still we ain't seen it. You talk of rising damp in your article like the holy grail as if you have actually found it and then Pick holes In A book and play with words to make it sound like they have lied so you must be telling the truth. Like I've said in the past you and other conmen make out it is a desease that can be caught if you visit the wrong location around the world. Just a thought you say these tests prove it's ground water that is giving you readings high up because of it's content are you taking into account the materials have actually come from the ground at one point? Why does let's day one property out of say 100,000 have so called rising damp? What has changed?because something has and I would say water rising up through a wall to three foot is less likely than water running down through a wall and showing it's self at three foot, a bit like filling a porous container half way then showing visible signs on the outside at half way. Point something specific in your article that proves your point the. We can work from there xxx

R.I.C S are split over it,though many now accept it exists.its become a generic term for everything to do with dampness in a wall.
Your right and @DAMp article proves this, he starts with a house wife who mentions rising damp and I'm pretty sure she isn't an expert, never mind working in the construction industry. It is a generic term used and as his article suggests even used by Shakespeare who I'm pretty sure is not an expert on the subject :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I always assumed RD was a result of bridging or failed dpc etc. Do people actually say rising damp is a problem in itself?

The rising damp gurus would have you believe that the dampness rises through the pores in the brickwork. When I used to do injection for companies back in the 80's we were told to inject the bricks only, that's where it's rising through, never the mortar joints.

Safegaurd and the rest have now changed their scientific minds. Now the water has started to rise through the mortar joints so inject the mortar joints, that's where it's rising through, not the bricks.

I don't suppose this has anything to do with any clown with a domestic drill and a mastic gone can go to safeguard etc buy the magic cream and do it themselves . Or does it ?

The dampness does not "rise" through either although bonding etc do tend to act like a sponge and draw dampness from damp walls.

Why, I wonder, do the chemical manufacturers advise rendering the walls using a waterproofer after injection if the rising damp has been "cured" ????

The rising damp gurus would have you believe that the dampness rises through the pores in the brickwork. When I used to do injection for companies back in the 80's we were told to inject the bricks only, that's where it's rising through, never the mortar joints.

Safegaurd and the rest have now changed their scientific minds. Now the water has started to rise through the mortar joints so inject the mortar joints, that's where it's rising through, not the bricks.

I don't suppose this has anything to do with any clown with a domestic drill and a mastic gone can go to safeguard etc buy the magic cream and do it themselves . Or does it ?

The dampness does not "rise" through either although bonding etc do tend to act like a sponge and draw dampness from damp walls.

Why, I wonder, do the chemical manufacturers advise rendering the walls using a waterproofer after injection if the rising damp has been "cured" ????
Ingress ,don't you dare digress if you want to impress and not depress,bloody mess

Ingress ,don't you dare digress if you want to impress and not depress,bloody mess
Oh the stress, I could do with less, postman pats cats called Jess and it's a boy, who would guess. The wife's bought a new dress over a £100 no less, she lied at first but had to confess :)

What's withthe rhyming without timing, your eyes maybe smiling but you're hardly beguiling,this is getting to be toiling so I'm retiring

Well being a student and having dealt with a damp problem (penetrating) got interested and figured I'd better read up on it. I came across this argument immediately.

Whether its a myth of a myth or a genuine myth its one that has been started by structural surveyors and other educated types. So I can't just out of hand dismiss it like, but experienced as I'm not I don't really hold an opinion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmO8eX0HJrc

That is one fella perpetuating the idea that it doesn't exist.

Well being a student and having dealt with a damp problem (penetrating) got interested and figured I'd better read up on it. I came across this argument immediately.

Whether its a myth of a myth or a genuine myth its one that has been started by structural surveyors and other educated types. So I can't just out of hand dismiss it like, but experienced as I'm not I don't really hold an opinion:

Don't be fooled that structural surveyors or other educated types know what they are talking about, they have been told by other structural surveyors and educated types who don't know what they are talking about. You will find in the construction industry them blokes or women who have been taught from a book don't have a clue when it comes to the real thing and may have to revert to the book they were taught from, the. Quote from it not really understanding what they are talking about. These same guys only know when the light flashes red there is a problem , they don't know what it is or where it's from, why it happens or when it started happening all they know is the red light is flashing. They have all been taught from the same books so know no different and are not prepared to learn because it means their gravy train will come to a sudden halt.

Just a thought (looking forward to the reaction)
If you stand a brick on its end in water does it only get wet to the height that it sits in the water or does it soak up and get wet/damp higher?
Bit like when you hold one of those posh sugar cubes in your coffee... :RpS_grin:

Fair play to you cowen70, you have an open mind. Don't believe everything you read in a book. Or on the Internet lol

that picture and the pictures you use in your article don't mean ****, I could grab that picture and write next to it "people pissing on walls next to the red lion is causing so many problems for local priest" you start your article with the word rising damp being used as far back as the 1800 and even in a Shakespeare monologue as if it exists, I bet I could go further back and find the word aliens but still we ain't seen it. You talk of rising damp in your article like the holy grail as if you have actually found it and then Pick holes In A book and play with words to make it sound like they have lied so you must be telling the truth. Like I've said in the past you and other conmen make out it is a desease that can be caught if you visit the wrong location around the world. Just a thought you say these tests prove it's ground water that is giving you readings high up because of it's content are you taking into account the materials have actually come from the ground at one point? Why does let's day one property out of say 100,000 have so called rising damp? What has changed?because something has and I would say water rising up through a wall to three foot is less likely than water running down through a wall and showing it's self at three foot, a bit like filling a porous container half way then showing visible signs on the outside at half way. Point something specific in your article that proves your point the. We can work from there xxx

I never said I wrote it, the chap that wrote it knows more than anyone about rising dampness. He's carried out more sampling than BRE.
Hes not a contractor he's an expert witness and goes against damp proofers when there is a problem to prove that their damp proofing has failed yes, rising damp does exist.

About Graham Coleman

My son has a 1st class honours Masters degree in engineering from UCL. He can't give me a definitive answer on why Pva normally works on Artex ceilings but sometimes fails. Nor can BG. In other words this guy is giving his opinion, which flies in the face of any hands on plasterer that understands different plasters and their reaction to water.

Rising damp exists in the minds of people who cannot find the cause of dampness in walls which sometimes involves a bit of lateral thinking

Status
Not open for further replies.