The Garden Building build :D

Alright all,

Figured I may as well start a thread to bore you all with...

I have started my garden office build... Well I have started digging out for the concrete slab.

I have partially designed the building using sketchup https://app.sketchup.com/share/tc/e...NEEMrQHLOA7jd8oV20HmBbHrZqyPRPmG1QlPurYkJnuw_

That will take you to my build....

I have to build more than 2m from my boundary but my base is going to be a about a meter wider than my building so I have enough scope to set out the blockwork....

I am planning on an insulated concrete base then self levelling and then my floor covering over the top... as I need to keep the floor levels low....

Screenshot_20220921-012526_VNC Viewer.jpg

I am not sure about having my concrete base alot wider... how do I insulate it? There would be 2m all the way round the structure of insulated
Concrete... or do I only insulate the middle bit... cant really insulate above ground as I need the height

You need internal slab finish 150mm above external path/slab to avoid damp if know setting out you could set aco drains around perimeter of ext skin allowing lower int floor level.

yeah I am trying to avoid that as I need a max eaves height of 2500 and my off the shelf doors are 2100mm
Then those aco grid top drains around the outside skin will give you drainage lower than int slab level to help with damp probs

1663752913612.png

Last edited:
@Smudger1 would you put a small cavity on the blockwork?? I was not going to but I figured it would condensate...
If you're sitting the timber sole plate on cavity block work not straight off the slab then set footing for blocks a block lower than slab level so you concrete to block level maintaining the cavity below slab level, then as many courses of brick as height to ridge will allow. You can then put perp vents inbrickwork to allow any moisture to escape onto path.

20220921_111649.jpg

Last edited:
If you're sitting the timber sole plate on cavity block work not straight off the slab then set footing for blocks a block lower than slab level so you concrete to block level maintaining the cavity below slab level, then as many courses of brick as height to ridge will allow. You can then put perp vents inbrickwork to allow any moisture to escape onto path.

View attachment 71447

I think I follow.

so the top of the blockwork would be ground level then I put my course of concrete on top of that...

Maybe clearer ?
Top pic normal build with finishedfloor 6" above ext path.
2nd is level slab and path with aco drains around outside with 4-6" chamber and top grids level with path run off or to pot or soak away.
20220921_142507.jpg

Oh that makes sense...

The trouble is I am building 2m away from the bank of stream so normal footings apparently wont be sufficient enough which is why I was told do a concrete slab :-/

Oh that makes sense...

The trouble is I am building 2m away from the bank of stream so normal footings apparently wont be sufficient enough which is why I was told do a concrete slab :-/
Ok so build a reinforced raft / slab with either aco drains or set shuttering so external path area has a fall away from external walls,
Do you want another sketch ?:buitre:
Cost you a tpf mug, glass, sweatshirt n shares ! :cool::burlas:

Ok so build a reinforced raft / slab with either aco drains or set shuttering so external path area has a fall away from external walls,
Could he not do his slab with a toe?
If he wants it to be level with outside ground level.
Good shout on aco drains Iv got a level threshold on some new builds we’re doing at the min to the front door, we’ve put aco across

I would gladly send you a TPF mug once the damn thing is build so I can finally unpack my old office

I have been doing a bit of digging....
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-02 at 16.40.25 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-02 at 16.40.25.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-10-02 at 16.40.24.jpeg

A mini digger would have been great but my doorway was too small and although a digger could get through we would still need to barrow it out... sooooo

A few hours in the evening I have been digging. Should be done by the weekend now :D

The fence on the right is not my fence but we are replacing that (We are splitting the cost and we are both going to do it.

The fence at the bottom of my garden wont be seen so we opted for the waney edge as it was a lot cheaper and there is a ditch between our fence and the property behind so they have their own fence as well.

Going down 600mm for the the hardcore and slab and insulation etc and adding piles to the perimeter as the ground is quite soft and sandy