Textured Plaster Ceilings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnionTrowel

What textures can be achieved with plaster and how to do them. In the US we use a plaster from United States Gypsum call Unikal, Diamond, Xkaliber which are all gypsum based one to two coat veneer plasters. Veneer plasters are nothing like British Gypsum Thistle multifinish. Multifinish and boardfinish are much easier and nicer to work with and the finish is harder and smoother. USG Veneers are gypsum cement based as apposed to Thistle multifinish which has plaster of paris.
I am looking for some one who has done swirl or random swirl who may be able to give me some pointers. Or if anyone knows of any other plaster texture finishes I would be more than happy to learn of them and the procedure. Thank you.

Ask away mate, I did loads of texturing ( and got trained by Artex ) it was a massive money earner here about 15 years back, now everyone wants it skimming off..lol... double bubble... way more money earnt putting it on tho...

Ask away mate, I did loads of texturing ( and got trained by Artex ) it was a massive money earner here about 15 years back, now everyone wants it skimming off..lol... double bubble... way more money earnt putting it on tho...
def agree loads more money artexing in the day quick and easy

We dont have Artex in the US. Plasterers here will add sand to second coat of plaster and use a sponge float and swirl the plaster and there are other finishes such as a spanish finish where they take plaster and do a skip trowel over the semi hard first coat. Not sure if anyone has done anything like this with plaster

When artex first appeared 40 odd yrs ago the guys doing it used to lock the doors so as to keep it a secret as to how it was done. True :RpS_laugh:

All I heard behind the locked doors was evil laughing and 1.50, 3.00, 4.50, 6,00, 7,50 and so on then **** you Harry endfield lol

What textures can be achieved with plaster and how to do them. In the US we use a plaster from United States Gypsum call Unikal, Diamond, Xkaliber which are all gypsum based one to two coat veneer plasters. Veneer plasters are nothing like British Gypsum Thistle multifinish. Multifinish and boardfinish are much easier and nicer to work with and the finish is harder and smoother. USG Veneers are gypsum cement based as apposed to Thistle multifinish which has plaster of paris.
I am looking for some one who has done swirl or random swirl who may be able to give me some pointers. Or if anyone knows of any other plaster texture finishes I would be more than happy to learn of them and the procedure. Thank you.
to give a swirl and a broken swirl finish you will need a stipple brush, apply the material to a area then load the stipple brush with your material. for swirl turn the brush full circle, for broken swirl turn the brush to the right then beside it turn the brush to the left. for a broken leather finish put the brush in a poly. bag a just do little s shapes into one an other.

You can use any base material for textured finish as long as it hangs about for a while, do you have machine sprayed plaster as you can hand apply that and texture it.

H artex was a great textured finish because you had time to work with it as it dries and does not set . It also can stand for hojrs in a bucket . It also has a flexible nature so it is less likley to crack. You also used paper tape to cover the joints. So the procedure was tape the joints using artex then a day or more later caulk the joints with artex then seal the whole ceiling with artex sealer or unibond or even silk emulsion then texture the ceiling which should then be a finished product ( no decorating required ) you can use plaster to texture but it is very limited and more basic patterns such as simply troweld on . I used to do textured work along with plastering for many years my dad taught me how to artex and my grandad was the first person in yorkshire to trial it many many years ago

Thanks everyone for your responses. I really wish I could learn artexing. Over in the Us Plaster texture ceilings for residential are very popular. Smooth is also very popular. Just smooth all day everyday is commercial. Ornamental plaster(fibrous) is specialty. Venetian is specialty. Stucco(render) and Traditional 3 coat(Solid Plastering) High end specialty.

Status
Not open for further replies.