Tendering

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

shapeshifter

Do you get construstion companies contacting you saying that they are tendering for a project and want you to submit a quoatation?

They usually send about 10 pdf files with drawings and specifications.

Do you sucessfully manage to quote from these files / drawings?

Do you find you need to visit the job to provide an accurate quote?

Regards

I wouldn't waste my time tendering unless they already had the job . Why should you do the work their quantity surveyors are paid to do. Look at it this way. Four or five large companies tendering for a job send out tenders to four or five subcontract plasterers. What are your chances? Pretty slim. f**k em!

TonyM said:
I wouldn't waste my time tendering unless they already had the job . Why should you do the work their quantity surveyors are paid to do. Look at it this way. Four or five large companies tendering for a job send out tenders to four or five subcontract plasterers. What are your chances? Pretty slim. (french word) em!

Thanks for the response.

I m finding it very difficult to work out what even needs doing to be honest, quoting from random drawings and descriptions is tricky. I feel I aways have to see a job to get a feel for what needs doing and how long it will take.

i never price off drawings have done in the past very hard to get it right there are so many things that can change plus u dont know what kind of work your going behind

90% of tenders are done from drawings/quant bills or specs as most construction budgets are set before the job starts so you cant measure fresh air. if you have a decent enough package (correct quants and specs with no hidden nasties) you should be bang on with your price its normal just beb carefull not to miss anything you need a Qs by the sounds of things until you have done a few and then you can manage on your own also a Qs will knoe the legal side of the terms of contract you will be held to so unless you fully understand it dont sign any contract orders. TBH ur better off just on tools at the mo as there is no money in commercial contracting for the time bein

Tell em to ram it
the just want u to work out a price for them localy so they dont get shafted if they price to cheap

TonyM said:
I wouldn't waste my time tendering unless they already had the job . Why should you do the work their quantity surveyors are paid to do. Look at it this way. Four or five large companies tendering for a job send out tenders to four or five subcontract plasterers. What are your chances? Pretty slim. (french word) em!

Seconded!

when i do i normally give meterage rates for everything, then a price subject to a remeasure. add at least 10% to ur prices for contingency

I have just tendered for an eifs job on a garage in glasgow the jobs worth 45k approx but there are 30or so to do around the UK so it was worthwhile sitting down and going through the pdf files... however i had the same enquiry from 4 main contractors for the same job... i gave them my fixed price lump sum... then the cheeky t. wats asked for my breakdown... hahhah i told them they would get it if they won the contract... the lazy sods just work on a design build contract and wont spend their money on a QS.
Also while im on the subject... the winning contractor sent me a invition to tender his letter said the final price had to be in 6 weeks before i recieved the letter ??? anyway when i read their contract terms i have decided to let the job go... not interested... i will let them get another company and hope they b ollo cks the job up... then if i have to correct it... i will get the job on my terms....

Render Systems said:
I have just tendered for an eifs job on a garage in glasgow the jobs worth 45k approx but there are 30or so to do around the UK so it was worthwhile sitting down and going through the pdf files... however i had the same enquiry from 4 main contractors for the same job... i gave them my fixed price lump sum... then the cheeky t. wats asked for my breakdown... hahhah i told them they would get it if they won the contract... the lazy sods just work on a design build contract and wont spend their money on a QS.
Also while im on the subject... the winning contractor sent me a invition to tender his letter said the final price had to be in 6 weeks before i recieved the letter ??? anyway when i read their contract terms i have decided to let the job go... not interested... i will let them get another company and hope they b ollo cks the job up... then if i have to correct it... i will get the job on my terms....

I aint had a fixed price sum tender package for years they all seem to want priced bills now per every item. I believe it is so their QSs can pick out your rates and barter them down off the other competing companies I always prefer a contract sum to a schedule of rates because altough its wrong to divuldge info to other companies bid rigging happens and pricing two or more firms of each other in a bidding war happans but unless you play their game they just disqualify your bid its wrong as the info as stated is confidential between your company and their Qs but illigal tacticts are being used by these QSs adding to the recession price problems

What you need to do is put in a ridiculously low price, and then not turn up. That'll teach them to f**k you around.

plasterjfe said:
90% of tenders are done from drawings/quant bills or specs as most construction budgets are set before the job starts so you cant measure fresh air. if you have a decent enough package (correct quants and specs with no hidden nasties) you should be bang on with your price its normal just beb carefull not to miss anything you need a Qs by the sounds of things until you have done a few and then you can manage on your own also a Qs will knoe the legal side of the terms of contract you will be held to so unless you fully understand it dont sign any contract orders. TBH ur better off just on tools at the mo as there is no money in commercial contracting for the time bein
good advice mate, obviously speaking from experience , nuff sed ;D

shapeshifter said:
Do you get construstion companies contacting you saying that they are tendering for a project and want you to submit a quoatation?

They usually send about 10 pdf files with drawings and specifications.

Do you sucessfully manage to quote from these files / drawings?

Do you find you need to visit the job to provide an accurate quote?

Regards
what ever you put as your quote, be sure they will bring it down and be prepared to wait on your money, that is if you even get it all , not a fan myself of this method but i know needs must and all that

Status
Not open for further replies.