Teach me about......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas

Bonding agent. :p

I have never used it and i am a bit weary of using it in a customers house to try it out. :-/
And i have no plastering needing done in the house. Apart from a ceiling.....Hmmmm.....

Anyhoo, what does it have over PVA?
How does it apply?
Is it easy to clean off surfaces?
How much?
Do you dillute it?
I take it that its good for silk finished surfaces or general low suction backgrounds?

I have noticed a few other people enquire about it too, so lets dedicate a thread to it! :D

Thanks for any help:)

Ok,

so I use it on artex as it kills all suction

I use it on sandy backgrounds cos it kills all suction

I use it on painted surfaces cos it sticks like to a blanket

I find it easy to clear up when wet but not to bad iff it dry.... unless its on coving!

Its like skimming over plasterboard you get loads of time on it

£12 a tub I knock PVA into it too makes it goa bit further

Hope this helps

Danny

ah answers :D cheers :cool:

does it kill all suction every time you used it?

because with pva thats ment to prevent suction but a few t imes ive used it as normal, one coat to seal 2nd coat to stick plaster, but the 2nd coat has sucked in also making plaster suck in still (not loads but enough to be a pain in the butt!!)

so im thinking one coat of this stuff is a bit worrying?

cheers aj

Loads of threads on this already but just to clarify!
Bonding agent is same as bond it ;)
Just one coat then leave to fully dry then plaster straight onto it ;)
Two kinds i use are Thistle bond it (available at all good builders merchants) this is bright green in colour and there is Wickes bonding agent ( available at wickes ;D) that comes in pink, especially for Danny! lol ;D

Been using bond it and its good, would advise wearing gloves as it not easy to get off your hands. Only problem is we're paying more than £30 for a tub. What are you guys paying?

Wickes Bonding Agent. Pink in colour with a sandy texture. Mix well, roll it on, let it dry (min 2 hrs, overnight if possible). skim 'till your hearts content without any worries, plenty of time! It costs about £12 for a tub but worth it for the piece of mind alone!

Sounds identicle to the knauf version of bond it, but a hell of a lot cheaper, which is good :). Had to use a few years ago when british gypsum went on strike and there was a plaster shortage. Crazy times ::)

also febond blue grit £33.75 delivered on ebay,i haven't tried blue grit yet, but febond is a good name in the industry.

I dont know what the implications could be but i wouldnt mix PVA with it as its a different substance.

With sbr do you:-

Roller it on like pva
Water it down
Is it 1 or 2 coats
Can it be used before undercoat plastering using hardwall over painted brickwork?

i've just started using the new Febond Blue-Grit as well.
Highly recommend it!
Just as good,if not better than Thistle Bond-it and cheapest place i found it was at John A Stevens builders merchants in Nottingham at £20.66 + vat for a 10ltr tub.....bargain!

i used that wba yesterday on a wall with different backgrounds, glossy paint, old plaster and bonding, painted it on first thing in the morning and it took ages to dry..probs 5 hours on the painted surface but it was a joy to skim loads of time and dried out evenly. Its good if you've got stuff to be gettin on with.

Well I used thistle bondit great stuff and only 45 plus vat ....... Thistle bondit make the world you're oyster

Feb Blue grit is the best of the lot. Tried all the brands and Feb comes out on top imo. R + J HARDWARE Sell the bluegrit for £20+vat for 10l tub.

yeah its dear tho, £14 for a 3kg tub which looks like about 2.5l to me and it doesnt seem to go very far. brushed it on quite sparingly on about 8m2 and got about an inch left in the tub.

i just steal it off site dont know why cause ive got a shed full and nowhere to use it

perks of the job grand if your selling any of that 100mm wide tape stick it on ebay I will buy a few rolls of you, it;s the silver mesh tape I like.

just a quick question lads about the pva and bond it, why do you let it dry? i always use pva, sometimes thick and sometimes runny depends on what im gonna skim over, but i just let it tacky up a bit first (if it ever dries i always go over it again with some more)

No you are meant to let bonding agent such as thistle bond-it dry for 24 hrs pva you should be fine straight after it usually dries pretty quick on reskims any way.

I use to use WBA the night before..... use to make the next day go easier... also means you can see if the client has cleared the rooms etc...

I dont skim over tacky PVA... I let it go right off....

I usually leave a tub of with the customer - dropped one off today for someone as it happens(Plasprime):RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.