Tarmac Pre Mixed One Coat Render as base coat over existing pebbledash

Members online

akacor

Hi all!

First post and hopefully of many more to come :)

Wanted to check if anyone has used Tarmac Pre Mixed One Coat Render as base coat over existing pebbledash? Our builder has used it over existing pebbledash of a ~1900s house which will be topped with monocouche render.

Breathable but doesn't state to be used on pebbledash specifically on their website.

Thanks!
Michael

Attachments

• GPID_1100455415_00.jpg
    GPID_1100455415_00.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 251
Hi all!

Wanted to check if anyone has used Tarmac Pre Mixed One Coat Render as base coat over existing pebbledash? Our builder has used it over existing pebbledash of a ~1900s house which will be topped with monocouche render.

Breathable but doesn't state to be used on pebbledash specifically on their website.

Thanks!
Michael
I've used loads of it but not over dash . If it's not painted dash be OK with mesh but I'd rarther use a proper base .ie hp12 hpx rendaid etc

Thanks for the replies @Damian plasterer @smoother09! Really appreciate your feedback :)

The builder put it on without any mesh.

Would you be concerned based on how this looks?

Attachments

• closeup.jpeg
    closeup.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 409
  • closeup2.jpeg
    closeup2.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 345
  • corner.jpeg
    corner.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 369
  • front.jpeg
    front.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 368
  • onecoat.jpeg
    onecoat.jpeg
    145.6 KB · Views: 485
Hey all.

The guys used PVA as primer and mixed in PVA with the render I assume, photos attached. The manufacturers guideline states to use SBR. Hired this guy, family run business for external render specifically. I question the work as the agreement included mesh. As I can see on site, no mesh was actually used.

Don't think this job is going to quite work out.

Thanks for all your responses.

Michael

Attachments

• IMG-20210528-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210528-WA0004.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG-20210528-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210528-WA0003.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 245
  • IMG-20210528-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20210528-WA0002.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 160
Hey all.

The guys used PVA as primer and mixed in PVA with the render I assume, photos attached. The manufacturers guideline states to use SBR. Hired this guy, family run business for external render specifically. I question the work as the agreement included mesh. As I can see on site, no mesh was actually used.

Don't think this job is going to quite work out.

Thanks for all your responses.

Michael
Oh dear.

Reply from the guy:
The mesh won't go on the top untill the base coat had dryed properly I just text the guys a the base coat is about 25 mil it's different thicknesses in different places because of the damp I don't think you understand that ! they was going to apply the last coat and the mesh when that's dryed it would be 2 layers down below to make up the thickness ........and probably one or 2 at the top but like I say it's not drying out ! Because when it rains moisture is getting in from different places because the top is no good .......

Anyone else would just render it and go.....then your render would come away in how ever many months I've been trying to explain to you the issues........

Hi all!

Thanks!
Michael
Mesh will go in the monocouche, but thats irrelevent if the base coat doesnt stick

Thanks for your response @Monkey Boy.

Works has stopped as the trader has requested additional monies upfront which should be paid on completion, payment terms set out by the trader and which I agreed with.

I have paid 68% upfront and I can see there is less than 40sqm of the base coat applied which I believe was mixed with PVA. 18.5 bags have been used based on waste I can see on site which should cover 40sqm plus wastage. The base coat is 3-5mm thick on average.

I would like to request a reasonable amount of refund considering that:
1) The trader has breached the terms of agreement by stopping works without further payment upfront which was not agreed
2) The scaffolding in place will shortly go down which means I will need to pay for scaffolding once again due to requiring another trader to complete the job

I believe I have been extremely reasonable.

Cost of materials wise I believe would be:
Tarmac One coat Ready mixed Render, 25kg Bag
18.5 x £8.35 (as trader said he bought it from B&Q as Wickes had no stock which would of been £7 with a trade account) = £154.48
Great Value Product
No Nonsense PVA 5LTR
£9.99 x 10% = £1, 90% still in the bottle
Wickes PVA Admix Building Adhesive - 5L
£9.75-10% trade discount = £8.78
Bostik Cementone Rendabond PVA - 5L

£13.50-10% trade discount = £12.15

Total materials = £176.41

The family came on site over the course of a few days but based on amount of work completed, I would like to understand how much roughly is the work that was completed worth?

I will seek my initial amount paid plus materials and an estimate of the value of the work completed.

There is quite a bit of history on this job overall, such as the trader providing me an initial quote, me accepting this quote, paying the initial deposit and then advising me that I had to pay £1,200 extra for materials before the scaffolding was erected or the work would not be completed potentially as he has all his other jobs lined up. This would be my first attempt at sourcing traders direct.

I really appreciate everyone providing advice on this as it has been quite a traumatic experience for me and my young family.

Michael

Oh dear. I can’t believe I’m reading this. Not one thing about this job is correct,ie
not removing old render, wrong materials used and no mesh. Didn’t you check this guys previous jobs?