Tape, n, Joint or Skim

Status
Not open for further replies.

bodplasterer

We have a few houses to do and they are all dri lined but the customer have come back asking if tape n jointing would be cheaper than skiming whats the average price per m on taping supply and fit? I know what the down sides are but this aint an issue the woman running the site has it in her head she could half the price by tape n jointing it all.

whatever you go in at with your price make sure you account for sanding. Like my old man used to scream:

"YOU DON'T GET PAID FOR SANDING!!!"

Bit out of touch on the prices here as I always took hours but one job I done for Mitie paid a stupendous amount off £1 per m2. Always charge a bit more for angle work too. We used to do walls by the m2 and angles by the linear.

How many metres in a house?

Women running building sites christ what next ???
Look what happened when we had a female PM ;D ;D. (sorry off on a tangent Bod)

Roughly 300-350 we priced the job ages ago and it was all systems go to be skimed but now they are trying to shave some money off :eek:

pftmonojetman said:
Women running building sites christ what next ???
Look what happened when we had a female PM ;D ;D. (sorry off on a tangent Bod)
Yeah i thought the same as we were dealing with the builder, now it seems this woman who we havent met yet is running the show.

Im with you on that one rich but i think its a matter of money they accepted our price but it seems that they are a having a budget review.

bodplasterer said:
Roughly 300-350 we priced the job ages ago and it was all systems go to be skimed but now they are trying to shave some money off :eek:

the highest price I got was 2 quid per m2. Not done it for a while. Labour only. For skimming the prices are about 3.50-9 quid depending on the job ie site/private sometimes a bit lower, supply and fix at the high end, labour only at the low. Taping is a peice of piss but I wouldn't reccomend it for a house at all but then again I like old houses, proper bricks and plaster jobs. These timber and gyproc taped houses always feel cheap as f**k to me.

bodplasterer said:
Im with you on that one rich but i think its a matter of money they accepted our price but it seems that they are a having a budget review.

anything signed there? surely it's not legal to accept a quote and then changed the rules and reprice accordingly.... ???

Here in the South West the Subcontactor rate is £1.40 / sqm, so I guess that the Contractor is charging the Client about £2.80 /sqm - if that's any use?

PS. Hello all. Joined forum yesterday. Think it is great!

It seems a big difference from our skim rate maybe she will save money. But i still dont see it being right she can do this ???

Tell her the price is the same and tell her to get someone in to price it, the boarding has got to be spot on and more chance of getting damaged before the end of the job so will equal out or cost more in the long run. Youve got to sell her the benefits aswell like someone else pointed out.

you can do your first tapes on more than one house at same time and if its sealed it wont damage

grand wizard said:
you can do your first tapes on more than one house at same time and if its sealed it wont damage

But you need all the houses COMPLETLY boarded at the same time which wont save money coz they are other trades stood waiting on other trades, rarely is there a full house completed if the spark fucks up or the plumber or window fitters patching without skimming takes longer and guarantee the boxing ins are never done till the end, more things to put her off.

Well you hit the nail on the head as there are 5 town houses 3 storey and they are only doing the first 2 before we can get onto the next which wont help matters at all.

richardbrown said:
just talk her into the benefits of having it plasterers properly. I think taping is utter b*ll***s

100% agreed.

I also dont see how its any quicker neither, by time you sank all the screws and filled them and taped and 3 coated the joints, then it needs sealing or whatever cos the filler and board are different backgrounds for paint.

I could skim it in half the time

grand wizard said:
you got anything else bod ask tonym he,s a jointer
Yeah if it is being taped i wont be doing it just sub it but it might work out fine as we have another job in bridport which needs our attention

nelly said:
richardbrown said:
just talk her into the benefits of having it plasterers properly. I think taping is utter b*ll***s

100% agreed.

I also dont see how its any quicker neither, by time you sank all the screws and filled them and taped and 3 coated the joints, then it needs sealing or whatever cos the filler and board are different backgrounds for paint.

I could skim it in half the time
I agree i reckon i can skim it quicker than i could tape it but a good taper could do it quicker there will be plastering in there as all the stair cases are winders.

grand wizard said:
negative waves flynny

It was meant to be negative to put her off having them taped, also town houses are a pain and you can guarantee by the time youve got the boards to the top floor they are f**k*d already. :)

flynnyman said:
grand wizard said:
negative waves flynny

It was meant to be negative to put her off having them taped, also town houses are a pain and you can guarantee by the time youve got the boards to the top floor they are (french word)ed already. :)

just what i was thinking, tell her price is the same, if you loose the job you will be beter off because if you start taping and it takes longer you will kick yourself mate, or you could get some tapers in and get them to go through you and put 50p m2 for yourself ;)

bodplasterer said:
If you cant afford it, you cant have it. simples.

kirk johnstone said:
flynnyman said:
grand wizard said:
negative waves flynny

It was meant to be negative to put her off having them taped, also town houses are a pain and you can guarantee by the time youve got the boards to the top floor they are (french word)ed already. :)

just what i was thinking, tell her price is the same, if you loose the job you will be beter off because if you start taping and it takes longer you will kick yourself mate, or you could get some tapers in and get them to go through you and put 50p m2 for yourself ;)

If you do, make sure they have an upto date CSCS card ;)

Ask her if she has had any prices for taping. Do they want drywall sealer as well? I have a job later this month, with sealer for £3.50 a metre plus £1.50 a linear metre for beads. Did one in Swanage in October at £4.00 a square. A chap that used to work for me is doing social housing at the moment for £2.25 inc sealer working for some big drylining contractor, so they've got to be getting £3+. Materials are about 60-70p inc sealer. Trouble this time of year is the time internals take to dry, so you'd need 2 houses to tape or you'll be taking time off while coats are drying. Admittedly there are tapers out there doing it for £1.40 and they are probably 2 coating it. Like Flynny says, the boarding has got to be good for taping, which is why I prefer to do my own. Hopefully the tackers sent the boards up through a hole in the floor rather than carted them around the winders. I make a tidy living out of drylining, but my own place is rendered and skimmed. Much better!

By the sounds of it tony there aint much difference in price, as for the boarding we have the whole package and there are no boards on site yet as they still havent finished the studs and first fix yet, but the staircases are wide enough to cater for the boards as they are not full winders.

The problem is when the builders hear that they can get the taping done for a couple of quid a metre, they think they have you by the bollox. The thing to do would be to let them get some cheap taper in to do one, then you go in and skim it once they f**k it up.

bodplasterer said:
By the sounds of it tony there aint much difference in price, as for the boarding we have the whole package and there are no boards on site yet as they still havent finished the studs and first fix yet, but the staircases are wide enough to cater for the boards as they are not full winders.

still a bitch taking boards to the third floor, i have not been on a building site for two years now an i don't miss loading up at all! what i used to do is take out a window and get the guy on the forklift truck to hold the boards up whilst we slid the boards in takes a day off each house, we used to all chip in and give him £20 to hold them up whilst he was on his dinner. ;)

Me and my bro do tapeing mate, My bro is a good hand taper to....

Think he was getting about £1.50 a meter house bashing, but we have nothing on at the moment.

it prob wont work in your favour to tape them up if its just a FEW houses remember you could be doing three visits or more per joint - Filler/cement/cement/sand/sealer. depends on spec of course. unless I have a full floor of a block of flats to go at I would skim them

Woo Hoo spunkys back where have you been ??? we still got all the outside spunks and a load of other jobs so there will be work mate as we still havent been able get on site so we are gonna be backed up with work.

Status
Not open for further replies.