Tape and joint

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pug

Got an extension to do and the customer wants it taped and jointed, I've told him that i could skim for the same price but he's got it in his head that it's the new thing and he wants it done his way.

Question is, can you 1st and 2nd coat same day? I was taught not to but i don't want to be going back for 3 days when i could skim it in 1.

Cheers boys. x

Joint filler easi 45 or 20 job done sand it on the way picking your tools up . He'll s**t himself how quick you've been laughing.

Nice one Bagrat, not seen that gear before. I'll see if any of the local merchants can get a bag or 2 in, if not where can you get it? I'm in basingstoke.

Hi Pug,

Used to do a lot of tape and joint unfortunately where you come unstuck is if sanding down inbetween coats as unlike plastering each coat has to be pretty good/finished before applying the next coat otherwise everything shows through etc. However we worked out that you can catch your coats as there just turning with a brand new clean car washing sponge etc and kind of rub out the edges and smooth over the lines using the sponge like sandpaper etc which then enables to add your next coat instead of having to wait to dry etc.

Youl need easyfil for your fist coat the quicker drying the better apply neat as poss unlike plaster you cant keep messing with it put it on as thought you wont be trowelling it again if that makes sense you only want to go as wide as the tapered joint area leaving as little lines and divets hollows etc as poss. leave for quite some time but keep your eye on it then gently with your wet sponge file out the edges and remove any lines etc.

2nd coat you want gyprock joint cement this is available in 10kg tubs already knocked just springle a bit of water and just a very gentle mix go a couple of inches wider than your 1st coat then repeat the above sponge method.

Finaly 3rd coat with gyprock joint cement going a couple of inches wider than 2nd coat. sponge as previously...job done!

Now the thing to remember is that your sponge is providing the finish not your trowel if you mess about with your trowel youl f**k it up so timing is imperative and getting the jist alternatively do all above but sand when dry but then what you can do in a day will take at least 2 etc.

Hope this fela...any probs bang a thread up and ill try anf help!

Zombie:RpS_thumbup:

This is an idiot guide to how we used to do fela

Gyproc do a round sponge with a handle for jointing.
I've got one somewhere can't remember the last time I used it though.

Like this:

photo-1951.jpg

Hey Pug. Easifill is a 2 coat jointing system, ideal for small jobs. It's used for the fill coat and finish coat. The only problem with it is that it retains moisture more so than joint filler, so if you 2 coat it in quick succession, it will take longer to thoroughly dry ready for sanding. If you put the material on tight and neat enough, there is no need to sand between coats, maybe just a quick de-nib, if necessary. Forget the 20 minute stuff, that is really only for patching and you'll be forever mixing and cleaning out your gear. Standard Easifill has a 90 minute set time and you should pay around a tenner a bag for it plus vat.
If you go the other route of joint filler and joint cement, don't use the readymixed Gyproc in the yellow and white tub as it sets like flint and is an utter t**t to rub down. You can use the jointing sponge if you wish but unless the compound you are using is set adequately, the sponge will cause it to 'pick up' and you can easily drag it off. Whatever you do, it's 2-3 visits.
The other problem with trying to put multiple coats on in the same day is that the subsequent coats may develop air holes which are hard to get rid of. If it's just one room, then use the Easifill, if it's 3 or 4, use joint filler for the first coat and bagged joint cement for the other 2, going a couple of inches wider on each coat. Paper tape your internals and scrim the tapered and butt joints.

I prefer joint filler cos it goes off harder but don't use it for the second coat like that big nose fat bastad did from swansea on his first job.........:RpS_wub:

Please don't use ready mix joint cement it's a c**t to rub down.. :RpS_cursing:

Fibre tape all straight and horizontal joints .
Fill with gyproc fast set filler red bag, don't go to wide just fill the bevel ,
Stick all internals with paper tape and gyproc joint cement orange bag ,
Second coat with gyproc cement ,
Third coat with the same , is the way it should be done . but if you havn't got the time easifill is the business if you know how to handle it . Just make sure you bring each coat wider than the previous one or you will have edges even when sanded.

Cheers for all the responses lads. I've done a wee bit of tape and jointing years ago but things change eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.