tape an fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

S a plastering

Private Member
hi just wondering if someone could just go through the process for me ive about 20mtrs to do for a builder he has paper tape on site and easi-fill did some years ago but just like a refresh thanks there are no corners to do just sraight joints cheers

thanks for the above they dont want it skimmed rock the spec is tape an fill so thats what it is do you let each coat dry before applyin the next one etc an do you sand each coat

no only sand last coat remember drylinning trowels bend the oppisite way to a plastering one so it is a little harder to do with a plastering trowel as you want to fade in to the board and it is a lot easier if its tapered boards

no only sand last coat remember drylinning trowels bend the oppisite way to a plastering one so it is a little harder to do with a plastering trowel as you want to fade in to the board and it is a lot easier if its tapered boards

I didn't know that (about the trowels)..........not that I'm ever likely to be jointing/taping, but I like to be educated:RpS_thumbup:

never heard of the trowels, always hand taped using my normal trowels using toe and heel pressure at the right time

Mix up but not too stiff or you'll have a job to get an even coat.. Trowel a 3-4inch band of material onto the joint. Bed the tape in the joint and then run your trowel or knife along the paper, forcing out any excess material. Don't press too hard or you'll not leave enough material for the tape to bond to. Lightly coat the tape up to fill out the tapered edges of the boards. Leave to set. Easifill sets in 90 mins approx so can be taped over again quickly. For the 2nd coat, remove any nibs and run another coat of material along the joint , finishing it approx 10 inches wide. Because you have used paper tape, it is unlikely that 2 coats will be sufficient, so apply a 3rd coat once the second is set, finishing at 12-14 inches. If you were to use scrim, you can do it in 2 coats with Easifill as it is really a 2 coat system. Just remember that the more coats you apply in quick succession, the longer it will take to dry, ready for sanding.
I bought a curved trowel once, waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.