Tanking slurry on copper pipes?

Members online

pmlaw

Impossible to avoid getting slurry on the copper pipes. Does anyone know if there are issues with slurry on copper pipes?

Thanks

Attachments

• EB2BFD8F-EC6F-4C6F-985B-D2D8D7787B84.jpeg
    EB2BFD8F-EC6F-4C6F-985B-D2D8D7787B84.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 271
Yes, understand there are. My GasSafe mate on a site we were both on went ballistic and refused to certify a pipe that that been concreted in without protection, because of the corrosion risk. Owner refused to correct so he walked off the job, was'nt about to risk his GasSafe ticket. He might be a bit particular but unlike some installers he is well up on the technical/practical stuff.

Just blown up your pic - you'llneed a scraper and wire wool now. NMo excuses, easy to protect them pipes, just done it myself.
Cut long strips of decorators sheet plastic maybe 6" wide and slide them round the back of the pipe runs 'tween the brackets. Don't bother wrapping it around tight just fold it over. Bit of masking tape over the brackets and couple of bits of tape or some staples to the strip edges, job done.
Hold the plastic tails to keep aginst the pipe while finishing over and under the pipes, Slide off when done, easy peassy clean up afterwards.

Yes, understand there are. My GasSafe mate on a site we were both on went ballistic and refused to certify a pipe that that been concreted in without protection, because of the corrosion risk. Owner refused to correct so he walked off the job, was'nt about to risk his GasSafe ticket. He might be a bit particular but unlike some installers he is well up on the technical/practical stuff.
Was he not responsible for sleeving it in the first place ?

cement will eat into copper. i have an insurance job on at the moment where the screed has to be removed as there are holes in the unprotected heating pipes this is a 20 year old bungalow the whole row has the same problem.

Should have wrapped them in Denso tape, sticky as f**k but works, should have been done by plumber though
Not a chance of the plumber doing it :) "decorator will get that"..

I respect the tape options suggested by You and Carl but it can be a real pain to get off afterwards. The plastic strip also works where pipes are already painted and is a piece of p~ss to get off, and easy to staple tight onto the pipe if you don't want to pull it tight while laying on or finishing.

Not a chance of the plumber doing it :) "decorator will get that"..

I respect the tape options suggested by You and Carl but it can be a real pain to get off afterwards. The plastic strip also works where pipes are already painted and is a piece of p~ss to get off, and easy to staple tight onto the pipe if you don't want to pull it tight while laying on or finishing.
The Denso tape stays on, it’s to stop the sand and cement getting to the copper. If the pipes are exposed give them a good clean after the slurry coat which you should do any way