Suppose you want paying then?

Members online

75m2 for one man on his own?

Going back to the dark ages (70’s) my boss told me a spread had to do 20m2 a day with Carlite Browning and Finish to cover his wages and the labourers.

40m2 a day if skimming. Thats with a builders bucket (15ltr) to mix in and a 2x1 pse stick to mix it with.

So imo 75m2 is way over a days moneys worth.
On lids I'd do up to 90sqm, no lab just me.
I was taking on my own work so didn't 'have to' but I had aspersions.
I remember my old man saying that a spread would earn decent money if he float and set a 10x10 room on his own. That's roughly 28sqm. I'm now hearing people say that they get £6sqm for F&S, that wouldn't be considered good money in Essex, but it probably is elsewhere.

On lids I'd do up to 90sqm, no lab just me.
I was taking on my own work so didn't 'have to' but I had aspersions.
I remember my old man saying that a spread would earn decent money if he float and set a 10x10 room on his own. That's roughly 28sqm. I'm now hearing people say that they get £6sqm for F&S, that wouldn't be considered good money in Essex, but it probably is elsewhere.
That's not now but when I was young and flying.
Oh and mine was all two coated @algeeman you chancer.

Still a question that no one will answer. My local Council only takes on qualified plasterers. Going back 3 decades there was a well established trade union rate for building tradesmen. The local Council will have to get their rates from some governing body.

I am trying to establish a starting point for trade rates. That starting point is some established trade rate for those on paye. Thats a minimum.

And lets remember the Councils have to employ tradesmen. Someone works for them.
Just to let you know I’m fully qualified and come from 3 generations of plasterers. :sisi:

Andy G works for £2.50m2 skimming. He is available and capable so that scuppers any price rise on his site.

But If they decided times have become hard they need to cut it to £2 m2 then would they get away with it? Depends on that particular plasterers desperation.

Rural living and its the only work to be had. £60 a day or £64 a week on benefits.

But then if he withdrew his labour and they couldn’t get anyone else? You will find the money will go up. Been this way always. I have been in the trade for 46 years and its a dog eat dog industry.

But going back to when most of us was on paye price was called bonus. Because you had to be paid the union minimum at least. If you earned at a m2 rate more than your basic it was called a bonus. If however you earned less than your minimum you was sacked! For being inefficient.

But times have changed. The majority of us are self employed. The way Maggie T wanted it. Now its down to bargaining power. And someone calls the shots.

Winners and losers. But around the Country not everybody has the same circumstances. Where are you in the pecking order?
At the bottom rigsby but that life

I had a guy who did a bit of painting for a mate recommended to me as a labourer. Described as nice bloke likes a drink. Anywho I call him up ask if he wants a bit of graft labouring. He says yeah but tells me he actually was a spread of 30 years. I think yeah ok whatever.

Comes on a job with me, turns out he is actually a s**t hot spread. So I started bringing him on jobs with me plastering.

Was going well but he started getting nosey and very bitter about the money I was earning. I was paying him 200 a day cash, very often 5 days a week at this time.

So the relationship turned sour as he got a chip on his shoulder because I was earning more and doing well for myself.

Point is he grafted for 30 years mainly site, and has f**k all to show for it.

I actually feel sorry for this bloke. Showed me a few tricks too. But I can't change his mentality. I can't think of a worse trade to do for 30 years and have nothing to show for it.

I'm not suggesting ripping customers off but f**k sake, get your worth.

I had a guy who did a bit of painting for a mate recommended to me as a labourer. Described as nice bloke likes a drink. Anywho I call him up ask if he wants a bit of graft labouring. He says yeah but tells me he actually was a spread of 30 years. I think yeah ok whatever.

Comes on a job with me, turns out he is actually a s**t hot spread. So I started bringing him on jobs with me plastering.

Was going well but he started getting nosey and very bitter about the money I was earning. I was paying him 200 a day cash, very often 5 days a week at this time.

So the relationship turned sour as he got a chip on his shoulder because I was earning more and doing well for myself.

I actually feel sorry for this bloke. Showed me a few tricks too. But I can't change his mentality. I can't think of a worse trade to do for 30 years and have nothing to show for it.

Why didnt you simply put his money up then if that was his worth?

Why didnt you simply put his money up then if that was his worth?

Because paying him cash cost me money. Also he was happy originally at 180 he named his price . I upped it to 200 as appreciated him.

All was fine until he got nosey then he got bitter

The point is the different mentality’s.

He was upset earning 1k a week cash.

I labourer for free to learn trade.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

The point is the different mentality’s.

He was upset earning 1k a week cash.

I labourer for free to learn trade.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

I used to pay out over a grand in cash in hotels every week for the lads I had on working in Birmingham.
Boom times before I had a family.
Moved up north took over a year off worked and spunked the lot lol.

@Gibbo knows big Jerry MC.
I worked in his gang for a while that man was on over £2000 a day.
Pulled out some huge sites with that man floating/skimming.
He's got property all over the uk and Ireland now.

Do you know the cannies gibbo ....big floor screeding family ??

Lol this threads been hard work and your ego is a beautiful thing @lurpak....I'm just glad I can pay my mortgage and bills and have enough left over to buy my kid nice Xmas presents and a holiday each year. As long as people don't wake up biting their nails about paying their bills then they're earning enough

I used to pay out over a grand in cash in hotels every week for the lads I had on working in Birmingham.

Used to know a couple of Irish screeners called John and Julian Lennon f**k they were fast and good too

U have a labourer for skimming lol your more of a pussy than I thought

• Funny
Reactions: Djr
I still use "labourers" time to time, basically people I know who want odd day cash. So if I've got load of boarding or carrying etc.

On a day to day basis no need for labourer. I have a good system. I don't stop.

labourer would slow me down

The one I know is a different Gerry mc Algeeman