Superflexs and their problems

Members online

The_one_coat_wizard

Has anyone on here looked into why or how the superflexs draw alot of water in plaster to the surface of the plaster?

A steel trowel doesn't do this and I've always wondered why

Has anyone on here looked into why or how the superflexs draw alot of water in plaster to the surface of the plaster?

A steel trowel doesn't do this and I've always wondered why
I trowel to a finish with my normal trowel when the surface has gone thats the time to use a flex not before its only for final trowel designed for this any sooner an it will ride over whats on the wall we onLy use the mediflex now which has a0.4 blade but our finish comes out mint everytime

I use a nela 800 spat which draws water too the surface its just the nature of the material and the stainless flex blade plastic doesnt do this as it flattens better when wet closing it in more an not bringing water to the surface

Thinner blade cuts more thus bringing water up. Normal stainless does it too but not as much as thicker blade.

Plastic hardly does it

I don't understand anything anymore!

And I ain't even F*****g joking!

Don't even know how I'd train up an apprentice anymore as I'd be as confused as them!

Day 1.

Ok kid, flatten that wall like they showed u at college

552489D3-52E2-464B-8FF3-7B00C37BBB56.jpeg

Pressure.

If you pass over anything like plaster or mortar (lime or cement) applying very light pressure the solid particles are pressed in and the water rises to the surface as it's displaced from within the mix. A flexible trowel can't apply enough force to keep the water from passing beneath the blade so it stays on the surface.

If you do the same but apply strong pressure then the same happens, but the water forms a 'bow wave' in front of whatever you use to apply the pressure. That bow wave is then pressed back into the mix as the trowel coming behind prevents it sitting on the surface.

If you want to prove this, pass a steel trowel over plaster (or mortar) but just lightly touch the surface and it will produce the same effect as a flexible trowel.