Struggling with pace/picking up pace?

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Hey people, ok here goes.

I don't know about you lot but i can only hoy on a ceiling of about 15-20m2 and i'm blowing in the process, i was asked to do a ceiling of 30m2 a few days ago but i just don't think i could put that much on in time before it starts going off.

How do you lot become quicker chucking on lids? I don't get to do many bigger than that to start and becoming quicker, i've only got enough in the tank to get what i do, done if you know what i mean.

Appreciate any serious answers! ;)

If ya not chucky on big meaterage all the time then you will lose speed. it happens to me now and again.......If i went onsite now i would probably just make my bus fare home....or maybe im just crap ............:RpS_thumbup:

Hey people, ok here goes.

I don't know about you lot but i can only hoy on a ceiling of about 15-20m2 and i'm blowing in the process, i was asked to do a ceiling of 30m2 a few days ago but i just don't think i could put that much on in time before it starts going off.

How do you lot become quicker chucking on lids? I don't get to do many bigger than that to start and becoming quicker, i've only got enough in the tank to get what i do, done if you know what i mean.

Appreciate any serious answers! ;)

spray it on

Alright mate ? If you are dong it on your own ie without a lab or another spread, you will struggle and burn yourself out and the finish will be poor.scaffold out the full area and split it in two halves using 3 layers of maskin tape to form a neat line,coat as normal then lay in and polish, then pull tape of and do other half, payin attention to the joint witch will still not be fully dry. Hope that makes sense?:RpS_thumbup:

It makes sense, i have a lab, i just can't do any more, i'm blowing after i finish but its finished well.

I've thought of this alot, but never did it, i've heard of stories that even when the joint is matched up well, it can still show when drying etc? Ever heard of that?

It makes sense, i have a lab, i just can't do any more, i'm blowing after i finish but its finished well.

I've thought of this alot, but never did it, i've heard of stories that even when the joint is matched up well, it can still show when drying etc? Ever hear d of that?
Ive done it many times mate and if you catch the joint when its still d
amp and work into it it will be fine when painted,

if your going to make a joint in the celing m8 stagger the joint.if ur doing big celings a lot you will get faster.l

Rolling gauge may be another option? But i have never done it,no doubt someone will be on later to explain how to do it? Or do a search on here as it has been disscussed many times :RpS_thumbup:

When I do big ceilings, I just do a section, then put the second coat on and start troweling it up, then when its still got some give, put some more on, then keep working back till its all covered.

Done 60sqm in this manner and not a single join, absolutely perfect, fully finished from start in 4 hours.

When I do big ceilings, I just do a section, then put the second coat on and start troweling it up, then when its still got some give, put some more on, then keep working back till its all covered.

Done 60sqm in this manner and not a single join, absolutely perfect, fully finished from start in 4 hours.
So is that 3 coats your puttin on?

Get the celling on ... Your prob faffing around with it, if you have a decent trowel that lays on neat you shoud have no worries doing this sort of area.

Good luck

Get the celling on ... Your prob faffing around with it, if you have a decent trowel that lays on neat you shoud have no worries doing this sort of area.

Good luck

Not being a **** but lets throw a hypothetical situation up here, lets say a person has never done 30m2, how should said person have no worries doing this sort of area if they have not done it? That's a bit illogical, isn't it?

Cheers for the tips anyhow people, that rolling set looks interesting.

Not being a **** but lets throw a hypothetical situation up here, lets say a person has never done 30m2, how should said person have no worries doing this sort of area if they have not done it? That's a bit illogical, isn't it?

Cheers for the tips anyhow people, that rolling set looks interesting.

Its the same as doing 10m2 but its 30m2. If your telling me by the time you've got a 10m2 area on its ready for flatten you should not even be considering anymore than that, until your doing that with your eyes closed ;-) If your doing 20m2 without problem, push it a bit more and go for 30m2. Your confidence will grow with experience

No bud, I can chuck 20m2 on comfortably to the point where after finishing up, i'm a bit achey and it feels like a workout.

10m2 is a doddle :)

i think thats what i'm lacking, the confidence to just lash on an extra bit of meterage with the fear of it setting on me, is another 10m2 really that much when you start flying?

How did you start tackling big lids mate?

Just stick with it mate Fatarm gave some good advice ,worry about how good it looks first ,then later the speed will come on it,s own ,best of luck

Are you trying to get it perfect straight away? Do you have a systematic way of applying it or do you pull your strokes any way you feel best?
Rolling guage:
Mix up a bucket and get it on (one section). Mix up another and lay it down, but use the same mix to get the next section on (first coat) repeat by mixing up fresh each time to lay down and first coat your next section until you're all on, flattening all your previous coats before applying the next mix.

That way when you trowel up you're always working over a fresh mix.

Could you invest in a pair of stilts ? sounds daunting but theyre a god send on bigger lids. You can then pull from the edge to the middle, then cross trowel the oposite way without stopping.

haw long have you been spreading mate if not very long it will come with time i dnt know how i got my self up to the sort of areas that i know i can cover now, i think i was just thrown in at the deep end had no choice did it and realised a 30 is actually quite easy, just be confident in your finishing skills,or do what i do just think to your self how rewarding that smoke will be wen youve got this coat on:RpS_thumbsup:

A 30m metre ceiling isn't easy, especially in the summer.

Make sure the room is clear.
Make sure you are a comfortable height off a hop up/stilts.
Dont mix too stiff.
Wash out after first coat.
Work to a system.
Don't stop working until it's under control.
Don't fanny about with it too much.

Without watching how you work I can't offer much more advice other than the flatter you put it on, the easier it is for each process thereafter.

ok dan horses for corses i did a 30 the other day and diddnt struggle with it at all had enough time for a fag between coats and trowels, i did have a labourer with me to knock up, if i was on my own it would have been a ballache.
im not trying to be big headed im merely stateing i dnt struggle with a 30?????

Most experienced plasterers would be able to do a 30m, especially with a labourer. But to say it is easy is stretching it a bit.

Plastering is hard work and not many people that you bump into on the street would be able to or want to do it. Put most folk through a weeks hard work skimming, rendering or labouring on a couple of guys and they'd think they were in hell.

Skimming a 10 metre wall is easy.

prepping moveing anything i need moveing haveing a quick fag before he has to clean and mix again y??

this might sound daft but i'll say it anyways... advice ig to from an old hand when we were doing cielings, 'push! dont pull it on, you'll stay fresher for longer'.

this might sound daft but i'll say it anyways... advice ig to from an old hand when we were doing cielings, 'push! dont pull it on, you'll stay fresher for longer'.

can u elaborate what u mean Andy??

can u elaborate what u mean Andy??
Umm yup, when you've picked off yr hawk (handboard for those north of watford), stand so yr first stroke is a push stroke to get the plaster onto the lid. Pushing is less strenuous on the 'ole shoulders!. So, push it on and pull backwards over it, then push to smooth it down, if you work like i do with 3 stroke per trowel full. Hope that makes it clearer...

Umm yup, when you've picked off yr hawk (handboard for those north of watford), stand so yr first stroke is a push stroke to get the plaster onto the lid. Pushing is less strenuous on the 'ole shoulders!. So, push it on and pull backwards over it, then push to smooth it down, if you work like i do with 3 stroke per trowel full. Hope that makes it clearer...

Roger......:RpS_thumbup:

Gonna try that, I'll have to reverse the system of how I put on though. I normally turn my back on the work and pull into it.

Sorry lads been busy, some cracking info in here cheers, only been spreading for 3 years coming 4 on my own, and another 3 with my apprenticeship included so around 7. Yea i don't struggle with walls of any size tbh, i could chuck a 30m2 wall on no bother, it's just lids that, make me cautious should i say.

Never tried a rolling set, i can get the grasp of it in my head, is there any videos of anybody doing one of a large area? I usually do three trowel strokes but i pull it first.

I've got stilts but i'm not very fast on them atm, so i'll get around to getting more used to them i guess that could help.

I use a nice wet mix, no where near stiff so i'm ok with the mixes, and try and not mess with it, just three trowel strokes nice and flat and move on, cheers for all the tips though lads.

Might just need to give myself a few slaps and go for it! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.