stripping cornicing/ceiling rose

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMK

Hi guys,

I've just bought a victorian terraces house which has lovely original cornicing and ceiling rose in the living room.

I want to strip all the existing paint off it to really bring out the original mould. Obviously i dont want to damage the mould in doing so.

Can anyone advise as to what i should be using to strip the paint off??

Cheers

Do a search on the site mate this has been ask before and plenty of info on this subject

try a product called peelaway made by palace chemicals.

its a nightmare tho let me say!

it may be cheaper and bring out a better quality if you can remake the cornice to match.
it depends on what you have.
But if it has whats called 'inlays' then you can take them all out. clean one up perfectly then take a mould from it and cast perfect replicas then refit them.

this is the best method in my opinion.
8yrs solid fibrous plastering behind me so i know abit about it.

ive done the paint stripping method and honestly, it sucks.

inlays/enrichments
same thing lol.

instead of cleaning of 100ft of this, we took one, cleaned it up, then took a mould from it and cast 100ft worth of new stuff. The old stuff came of pretty easy and the new stuff went up easy. quicker, less mess and cheaper than paying someone to do a paint stripping job. Your also guaranteed to have 100ft of enrichments :)p) in perfect condition.
who knows what lies under the paint, could find have of them seriously damaged and a mould need to made anyway.
20250_260175449069_500359069_3063375_6051536_n.jpg

personally I would never take down the original unless it was unstable, peel away is the best option if used in the correct way, and sometimes paint stripper can be used afterwards to get the bits missed, this is best done by a fibrous plasterer as sometimes some enrichments may become loose and need attention, although this is quite a big job the results can be amazing

ok, I know this is an old post, but I thought I would add my thoughts on this.
Peel away is good is used correctly, I would steer clear of nitromors as it may break down the existing plaster underneath.
If you are only cleaning up a small area, you could just use warm water, a stiff toothbrush or similar and various small tools and soak the paint and gently pick it off . Whatever method you choose its very time consuming, you need alot of patience and be prepared for any enriched pieces being damaged or becoming loose.
I agree with fibrousmart that this work is best carried out by a qualified fibrous plasterer who is able to repair any damage uncovered.

done loads of this!! Adapt you steamer, by replacing the steam pad with a clean nozzle off silicone tube or similar also u may need to extend tubing easy enough, HAPPY DAYS less chance damage to enrichment, no stabiliser required as no chemicals used. Water under control.
GOOD LUCK

Status
Not open for further replies.