Straight Edge with Multi

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

Does any one no y on the gold trowl DVD they use a stright edge in the corners after they lay the first coat on ?

did they do it when they worked back from the opposite angle if it was a splay and did they trowel up with it to keep that nice straight angle?

i aint seen it but i bet his boards were DEAD flat...quick way to flatten off innit...

either that or he'd just started the course and couldnt tell a trowel from a straight edge :D

Gives you a nice straight angle, never used a feather edge just a skimming darby and you can see the diference a mile off if the backgrounds out a bit

I have used a straight edge on angles makes them perfectly crisp.

I also do it if I have to cove a ceiling makes it a lot easyier

Danny

I always use a straight edge if the ceiling is going to be coved, makes it much easier when it comes to putting the coving up, you just gotta pull away a few inches from the eges of the room.

how does that workhen? surrly skim is skim how can an edge help the coving? dont u just follw the board?

what if it's not board?
You can have variations in the wall that may need evening out.
That said if you did the backing coat then you should have made sure it was straight in the first place

Are you telling me that you guys rule of your internals whith a straight edge when you PVA & skim? And what the heck is a skimming derby ?

all theyre sayin is if you got a big hollow at the edge of your wall or your ceiling line a humongous great trowel will flatten it out for you....seein as they dont really get any bigger than about 20" the next best thing is a derby, like a bit of flat aluminium, maybe 4" wide and 4 foot long, two handles on it with a lip on one edge to keep it stiff/flat...
nothin to stop you using it to flatten the whole wall off if its a mile out, it can be done to a certain extent, but your only talkin 5mil on a coat, over 2 coats maybe 6-7mil, any thicker than that and youll have problems troweling up cos of where its on real thin versus where its on real thick...not to mention the ripples on the thick bits...then timing goes out the window and sheer experience takes over...

Yes i get what your saying. What i was asking was -

1. Do you go to the extent of checking all your internals with a 8ft straight edge before you PVA & skim?
2. If so, do you always sort them out by this method?

Have been spreading for many years & think i'm far from being a bit rough, but i don't do this. Maybe i should start reducating myself

i dont personally, i can usually see it and ill just lay it on thicker and let it pull in a bit round the hollows, gets em near enough, end of the day its skimmin, not renderin, ive whipped a straight edge off corners before but only in a bathroom where its gonna be tiled right up, with coving i just let the cove adhesive do its job ;)

I'm getting confused!
I don't run a straight edge over my wall before I skim it. If anything needs smoothing out I'll see it in which case i'll bond it out.
I've seen skim flattened with spatulas and darby's and all sorts but I think I'm as good with a trowel.
If the ceiling or skirting line is out when it's being coved or skirted then I agree with segs.

Status
Not open for further replies.