Stove Installer & Chimney Sweep on Board!

Members online

Brimstone

Hi Guys,
I used this site to get some honest opinions of courses/training, very useful and I liked the Crack so decided to join. I'm not planning on being a full time spread but have friends that are. I just got frustrated that I constantly have little patching and simple render/skim jobs around fireplaces and nobody knows a good available plasterer, 'cos their always out earning real money on proper jobs. So I've signed up for a short intensive 5 days with Goldtrowel, and I'll let you know how I get on.

Fair play, tbh there’s thousands of multi turders on here which tbf is probably why it’s hard to get a plasterer to do smaller works , enjoy forum and welcome,
Ps I never say no to smaller jobs , big or small we do them all

I've read your post five times now and all I'm getting is that you're frustrated that no plasterers are willing to come and do your jobs for less than what a proper spread would need to make it worth their while.
So on that basis I'm oout.

Hi Andy,
No, not at all. The clients are happy to pay and make it worth their while, my HETAS day rate is way above that. Cheapo's don't get to employ me and get what they deserve.
In order to complete they need good plasterers at short notice which ain't going to happen. It frustrates me simply because I like to see a job finished and well done, and be able to offer the full answer to the client even if it isn't my problem. Planning ahead doesn't gurantee availability.
There are quite a few (ok a lot,) of bodgers about who claim to be able to do the work and foul it up. Mainly because they don't know how to or they're T***s/chancers.

e.g I tell builder/plasters and the client what fireproof materials to use well ahead, and importantly explain why, to meet Bldg Regs and be safe, as I'm the one signing it off. I also tell them to price it accordingly. Despite this, they have a problem with actually doing it.
E.g. dryliners stuck pink board onto the wall with "fire-rated" foam where the stove was to go, and levelled it up using screws in the wall. Their skimmer skimmed it with multi, and did a s**t job. Surprise, they legged it, the builder wouldn't put his hand up for it.
I paid out over £600 of my own money to cut it out, fit the right materials and do the base coat myself. I bottled it on doing the skim in fireproof render myself. That's probably the worse case, but there are others.

So, mebbe I learn how to do it well, because I've always wanted to ever since I started working on sites, and charge the right rate for the job.

Hi Andy,
No, not at all. The clients are happy to pay and make it worth their while, my HETAS day rate is way above that. Cheapo's don't get to employ me and get what they deserve.
In order to complete they need good plasterers at short notice which ain't going to happen. It frustrates me simply because I like to see a job finished and well done, and be able to offer the full answer to the client even if it isn't my problem. Planning ahead doesn't gurantee availability.
There are quite a few (ok a lot,) of bodgers about who claim to be able to do the work and foul it up. Mainly because they don't know how to or they're T***s/chancers.

e.g I tell builder/plasters and the client what fireproof materials to use well ahead, and importantly explain why, to meet Bldg Regs and be safe, as I'm the one signing it off. I also tell them to price it accordingly. Despite this, they have a problem with actually doing it.
E.g. dryliners stuck pink board onto the wall with "fire-rated" foam where the stove was to go, and levelled it up using screws in the wall. Their skimmer skimmed it with multi, and did a s**t job. Surprise, they legged it, the builder wouldn't put his hand up for it.
I paid out over £600 of my own money to cut it out, fit the right materials and do the base coat myself. I bottled it on doing the skim in fireproof render myself. That's probably the worse case, but there are others.

So, mebbe I learn how to do it well, because I've always wanted to ever since I started working on sites, and charge the right rate for the job.
Ok I'm back in.