Stippled artex.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcrplast

Stop ya yawning, i know its another artexy thread .

I have scraped over the stipple on artex ceilings in the past, but want to try another way.

I know there are a few here who say fook it, and get it done, and thats fine, but i dont want to chance it no more, and there are the customers to think about.

I read some use bonding then skim ?...i'm thinking build out in 3 coats with multi ?...they are only small ceilings, one hallway , and small bedroom.

If board, how do you find joist locations ?.

Joists are normally 14 inches apart, often the length of of a hammer, use a long nail or screw to find them ,mark them out both ends, then ,chalk line them... You could otherwise just pva and see how it holds..

Stop ya yawning, i know its another artexy thread .

I have scraped over the stipple on artex ceilings in the past, but want to try another way.

I know there are a few here who say fook it, and get it done, and thats fine, but i dont want to chance it no more, and there are the customers to think about.

I read some use bonding then skim ?...i'm thinking build out in 3 coats with multi ?...they are only small ceilings, one hallway , and small bedroom.

If board, how do you find joist locations ?.

you use your hammer to find joist ,obviously the sound changes were there is a joist , mark wall and away you go, it can be hit and miss so double check each and every cut, not all joists run true and certainly isn't parallel to the walls your working from, hope this helps everyone as got there own way, but this is a starter for you :RpS_thumbsup:

Joists are normally 14 inches apart, often the length of of a hammer, use a long nail or screw to find them ,mark them out both ends, then ,chalk line them... You could otherwise just pva and see how it holds..
your still disturbing artex using nails or screws , isn't that defeating object ?

I dont want to screw into the artex though john.

The stipple on the hallway is ridiculous...like Stalactites...or is that stalagmites ?....haha.

I know the ceilings contain asbestos, because they have been tested.

I dont want to screw into the artex though john.

The stipple on the hallway is ridiculous...like Stalactites...or is that stalagmites ?....haha.

I know the ceilings contain asbestos, because they have been tested.
encapsulate it then pva let dry pva again when tacky bond until a level ceiling is formed

I think from what I have read, creating dust is what creates the problem if you can steam it off or pva and scrape then the problem is very much non existant

I think from what I have read, creating dust is what creates the problem if you can steam it off or pva and scrape then the problem is very much non existant

the dust as asbestos particles in it ,you/I everyone breath in the dust then, if your unlucky enough u get asbestos in your lungs and it starts to grow , although it is white asbestos in artex and not the killer as such brown-blue asbestos are the killers, but I will carry on doing artex ceilings in whatever way is best for clientele, board and screw up is my method as in long life ,bond and skim is only as good as artex in first place .

Using a hammer and screw drive to find joists and over board crests very little dust. It's also a better longer lasting job.

Not great for aspestos

when locating joists on ceilings I use combi drill with small drill bit metal/wood bit, when I find one I will find where it starts and finishes then put a hole on its own in the centre of the joist closest to the opposite wall. Then as said ping a line with chalk after marking either end..

aspestos I would just bond and skim wouldn't bother scraping or disturbing it..

surely you must have done 100s of these..

Jumping onto thread after having a bad day on friday. Pva'd artex stippled ceiling on the wednesday. Came back to skim on friday. Quite a decent size kitchen ceiling took two bags of multi to flatten out. Got it reasonable for a coat then put another coat on in afternoon to finish it off looked very nice flat and smooth. As packing up the multi I had put on all fell off. Ive skimmed onto artex about half a doxen times without issue. This time it all fell off. Not sure why but im back this week to re board ceiling and skim again. Thus has put me off skimming onto artex and will never do it again. From now on will always tell customer its getting boarded or get someone else

Jumping onto thread after having a bad day on friday. Pva'd artex stippled ceiling on the wednesday. Came back to skim on friday. Quite a decent size kitchen ceiling took two bags of multi to flatten out. Got it reasonable for a coat then put another coat on in afternoon to finish it off looked very nice flat and smooth. As packing up the multi I had put on all fell off. Ive skimmed onto artex about half a doxen times without issue. This time it all fell off. Not sure why but im back this week to re board ceiling and skim again. Thus has put me off skimming onto artex and will never do it again. From now on will always tell customer its getting boarded or get someone else

It can be hit and miss for sure if its got to be bonded/skimmed and on to silk, It helps scrapping it back just to create some suction...

not had one deliminate on me yet but it will happen I'm sure :/

got one on as we speak only a bathroom, was silk as well didn't scrap it back because its pre 90s and the builder PVAed it yesterday for me...

bet this is the one lol!!

Ive covered myself enough anyways told him before he need to blue grit it if its silk

I smash holes either side of each joist then I know exactly where the middle is, we went on a asbestos course and was told to cover it not disturb it which says to me bond and skim not overboard because you're still disturbing it

Status
Not open for further replies.