Starting out

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyboy174

Hello all. I would just like some advice from those who have been in a similar position as myself..... I have just signed up for a 9 day course on starting to learn how to plaster. This is going to be done at thebtc in Croydon. Has anyone used this venue,? Any thoughts or experiences? Secondly, I ask if anyone has any advice on what tools to dart off with? I have been told that Marshalltown is the only way forward, so thinking about just getting a trowel and hawk prior to the course, so I can learn with that. So wondering what size is good to start with?
Thanks in advance for any genuine help and before anyone jumps down my throat, I will not be a "chancer", It is not a change of career, just want another DIY skill under my belt and can help friends and family.

Welcome to the forum, and what a way to start your career, you can't even get the names of the tools right, it's a feckin HANDBOARD , all the best , some one will be along shortly to give you loads of s hit , erm sorry advice :RpS_wink:

You answered your own question mate yeah just get your self a mixing drill a couple of buckets a panel brush an inch brush a bucket trowel and a gauging trowel and your away mate oh and a hop up.

Hello everyone just a quick question ,i would like to be a fireman does anyone know of a short course i can do and what is the best hose and ladder to get also what do other firemen charge and where is the best place to get my helmet from. I hear that there is loads of money to be made, a bloke down the pub told me so. i promise not to be a chancer or go around under cutting other firemen . Sorry this was supposed to go on the FIRE FIGHTERS FORUM.:RpS_unsure:

Welcome to the forum :)

At the moment the plastering industry is a tough one and you will find a lot of plasterers on here especially finding it hard to get work as people are tightening your belts and that is probably the reason why you want to learn to plaster to save you money on your own house :) Fair play... I service my own cars and I print my own mugs so why not...

SO before this thread gets out of control please be nice......

Trowel... I started with a 13inch but use my 14 inch a lot more nowadays on when skimming board work I use a 16..... I know that essexandy likes using an 11inch I think but its your own choice....

You will need a brush... 4 inches or so... and a smaller 1inch brush...

Buckets... I would probably just get a gorilla tub... seeing as you probably will be working out of that and then you just give it a kick to clean it... most professional plasterers work off a spot board and so they use a tall plasterers bucket as that mixes quicker :)

You will need a mixing drill.... I bought one off ebay about 8 years ago that was £69 and is still going strong :) its mixed up tonnes of hardwall and finish.... dont bother with a drill and a paddle as all that does is screw your drills up...

Dont worry about corner trowel as you can just do opposite walls and seeing as its your own home time wont be too much of an issue....

Being a beginner I would invest in some tarps and some dust sheets... lay the tarps first then sling the sheets over the top.... you are bound to make a huge fecking mess.....

I would also get a dustpan and brush... I use the brush bit to keep my mixer clean :)

So thats probably about all you will need for now.....

I hope that everybody else that responds also gives helpful advice :)

Danny

At the moment the plastering industry is a tough one and you will find a lot of plasterers on here especially finding it hard to get work as people are tightening your belts and that is probably the reason why you want to learn to plaster to save you money on your own house :) Fair play... I service my own cars and I print my own mugs so why not...

Trowel... I started with a 13inch but use my 14 inch a lot more nowadays on when skimming board work I use a 16..... I know that essexandy likes using an 11inch I think but its your own choice....

Buckets... I would probably just get a gorilla tub... seeing as you probably will be working out of that and then you just give it a kick to clean it... most professional plasterers work off a spot board and so they use a tall plasterers bucket as that mixes quicker :)

You will need a mixing drill.... I bought one off ebay about 8 years ago that was £69 and is still going strong :) its mixed up tonnes of hardwall and finish.... dont bother with a drill and a paddle as all that does is screw your drills up...

Dont worry about corner trowel as you can just do opposite walls and seeing as its your own home time wont be too much of an issue....

Being a beginner I would invest in some tarps and some dust sheets... lay the tarps first then sling the sheets over the top.... you are bound to make a huge fecking mess.....

I would also get a dustpan and brush... I use the brush bit to keep my mixer clean :)

Danny

Yep what he said and don't forget the gallon of strong beer or lager at the end of the day, your gonna need it !!

Blimey! What a fantastic response!!! Thanks bodplasterer for the genuine, respectful Reply. The rest of you....what the hell?!?! You all know nothing about me! Why
Are u all so judgeMENTAL? My post was asking for genuine help and advice!
Why, if u have nothing constructive to say, do u waste yours and everyone else's
Time? Why don't you spend the time on earning a living and stop posting pointless comments?!

johnnyboy
Go do your 9 days then you will no what tools you will need, To be honest mate I think you are wasteing your money going down this road. Good luck anyway.

Danny

Well said Danny
I bet this young lad really appreciated your comments
I think some of these old stagers need to learn from this and get out from their own arses
They are spoiling the show

Well said Danny
I bet this young lad really appreciated your comments
I think some of these old stagers need to learn from this and get out from their own arses
They are spoiling the show
You sad batsard!!!! Plasterin trade might be on it's arse for some right now but it aint being propped up by the likes of you and chancers, carry on trawlin about the forum, look out for some good advice for diyers and chancers, you might learn somthing, never to
Old to learn eh

Last edited:
Hi Danny
please can you remove my login details to this forum. I signed up to ask a genuine question just like this original poster.
However people like Spunky are intent on keeping the plastering industry closed to older ones and people who have the age or money to earn a pittance for several years.
Rather than try and have some kind words and helpful advice they seem intent on discouraging and using course offensive language to make the person feel bad and stupid for asking a question.
If their manner on here is n insight into their regular manner with customers then I am not surprised they and the plastering industry are struggling.
Not everyone wants to be a cowboy and not everyone wants to do a crap job. If we go through another period where young people choose IT rather than trades then as these older ones die off, we won't have tradesmen full stop. So people like myself who want to learn but don't have the privilege of apprentiship wages might be the ones to fill the gap.
This poster just wants to do family and friends jobs, why immediately think he's lying? Are you scared that you are going to lose business? Perhaps your reputation and skills are that bad that you are scared of competition?

I am done with this forum and it would appear that others are getting sick of some of the users and responses on here.
Be helpful, try and be nice, try and remember that if it is your sense of humour which in the likes of Spunky I don't think it is, it doesn't come across in the right manner on a forum.
If I manage to do a course, learn on my own and with friends and family, ask for help from tradesmen I know and then maybe eventually after working alongside my day job start up on my own, which is my plan, I will not be a member of this forum alongside sour twisted tradesmen like some of these here.
I wish the original poster all the best and bid you all farewell.

Hi Danny
please can you remove my login details to this forum. I signed up to ask a genuine question just like this original poster.
However people like Spunky are intent on keeping the plastering industry closed to older ones and people who have the age or money to earn a pittance for several years.
Rather than try and have some kind words and helpful advice they seem intent on discouraging and using course offensive language to make the person feel bad and stupid for asking a question.
If their manner on here is n insight into their regular manner with customers then I am not surprised they and the plastering industry are struggling.
Not everyone wants to be a cowboy and not everyone wants to do a crap job. If we go through another period where young people choose IT rather than trades then as these older ones die off, we won't have tradesmen full stop. So people like myself who want to learn but don't have the privilege of apprentiship wages might be the ones to fill the gap.
This poster just wants to do family and friends jobs, why immediately think he's lying? Are you scared that you are going to lose business? Perhaps your reputation and skills are that bad that you are scared of competition?

I am done with this forum and it would appear that others are getting sick of some of the users and responses on here.
Be helpful, try and be nice, try and remember that if it is your sense of humour which in the likes of Spunky I don't think it is, it doesn't come across in the right manner on a forum.
If I manage to do a course, learn on my own and with friends and family, ask for help from tradesmen I know and then maybe eventually after working alongside my day job start up on my own, which is my plan, I will not be a member of this forum alongside sour twisted tradesmen like some of these here.
I wish the original poster all the best and bid you all farewell.

bye bye :flapper:

Blimey! What a fantastic response!!! Thanks bodplasterer for the genuine, respectful Reply. The rest of you....what the hell?!?! You all know nothing about me! Why
Are u all so judgeMENTAL? My post was asking for genuine help and advice!
Why, if u have nothing constructive to say, do u waste yours and everyone else's
Time? Why don't you spend the time on earning a living and stop posting pointless comments?!

johnny old boy you got the advice you was looking for so that is the end of the thread, but because we like a laugh after the advice is given we start having one:RpS_thumbup: mate youll get tonnes of advice from here so just chill a little and enjoy the ride

Just had a look at littlewinges post re intensive course, and I think he got sound advice, not terrible abuse! Think what is clear tho is spreads who have served their time and grown up in the building trade in general have thick skin an can handle abuse and banter, unfortunately a course can't teach you that!

It's not even banter it's weirdos that are so naive thinking they can learn to plaster in a couple of months, the truth hurts if other people have been busy wan king away the last 10 years of their lives that's their problem not ours

It's all a bit fishy this to me , littlewing started a similar thread, but because no one hap a proper pop at him/her he picked up on this one that was raked up by aroberts, Mmmm

:confused:I'm shite at this detective work? This could be a case for bubbles or nisus :confused:

Last edited:
It's not even banter it's weirdos that are so naive thinking they can learn to plaster in a couple of months, the truth hurts if other people have been busy wan king away the last 10 years of their lives that's their problem not ours

am plastering 15 years and am still f.u.c.king learning. a course me hole

All trowels are the same look after them an they will look after you. Marshall town stand out to me for one reason tho they have a lifetime guarantee an £40+ a pop it's nice to know so if you do get MT keep the recite. A friend with a short temper launched is across a room bending it sent it off an they replaced with a new trowel but I don't advise that aha :) takes a very long time to get good edges on trowels. hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.