starting out...advice please!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalosid

hi guys.
im considering a learning a trade and plastering is something thats always interested me.
clearly theres no substitute for experience and every one has different abilities however ive been looking online at plastering schools and would really appreciate some advice on the best way to get started...there are various courses such 4 week "professional" courses , nvqs and 6-8 week city and guild courses.....
i dont have any plastering experience so have no idea if these courses are any good or even if a formal qualification is any use..
i realise that its probably not going to be possible to do a 6 week course and suddenly call yourself plasterer but id really appreciate some advice on the best/quickest way to become reasonably competent and start earning.

thanks
si

ive got to tell you my friend its not the right time to try and learn a trade right now, so dont waste your money on courses just yet id wait maybe 12-18 months, when the building trade should be looking up again, i reckon bailiffs would be a good job to turn to right now,

well without wanting to risk the wrath of you guys on here.....i have a full time job ..im a fireman ( i know most tradesman get annoyed with us moonlighting) so i need only 2-3 days work a week..
still think its not worth my while??

youll be lucky if you can get that many days work a week especially at tho mo and just startin out

id look to start out labouring for a plasterer to get to know the basics most plasterers mate are young and dont really want to work let alone learn the trade , its best to start by learning to mix up and clear up belive it or not its a skill to do both well and the better you are at mixing the less clearing up you have to do , then after a few weeks practise skimming some walls at home or in a garage then take on some jobs for mates etc the most important thing is to be reliable and keen  , courses are ok but getting paid to learn is better, allways try to stay one ahead of the plasterer and know where all the tools are and when they will need them and keep them clean , plasterings a hard job you can make easy by working smart.

What church said is probably your best advice try phoning around your local plastering comanys or just try the pubs thats where alot of spreads seem to spend alot of time ;D The last job i was working on had loads of firemen working there, the sparks were all firemen and a 2 gang of plasterers were doing a couple of days every couple of weeks so you shouldnt have trouble getting work from what i gather talking to a few of them you lot have got a lot of contacts and are always in work.

a course will teach you the basics mate and let you have a bit of a go, if you learn with a spread youll get paid for work and will get tought the quickest way and shortcuts to take
it does depend on willingness to learn and hard work as youll be expected to carry out youre labouring duties i.e mix , prep rooms, load rooms out, clean up etc and trowl up ...... at the same time
try it mate and see how you get on .......heres a little tip forget about speed and concentrate on youre technique first ;)

Why not do a ICA construction award at college via nightschool? You'll get a level 2 qualification and by the time you finish the work might of picked up and we'll all be bankrupt so you'll have the monopoly ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.