Standard Rendering questions

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aspire

Hi,
I'm new to this and wanted to ask a couple of question please.
I'm rendering a bungalow, and haven't done this since collage 6 years ago. (in which we didnt use sand & cement).

the bungalow is bear brick and the materials I'm using are sand and cement.

1) should I be priming the brick with SBR?
2) Is it crucial to leave 5 days between scratch coat and finish coat?
3) Should I be using fibers in the coats if so which ones?

Thanks in advance.

Alreet marra, welcome to the forum...............my answer is yes to all 3 questions, and i would add cement to your sbr when you prime the brickwork

Thanks, I appreciate your advise.

What quantities of cement would you use with your SBR?

Would you still use a waterproofer/plasticiser and lime in both coats? as well as the cembond fibres?

If the brick work is in good condition I wouldn't bother with sbr however I would be fully meshing the scratch coat. Defiantly leave 5+ days between coats

just mix up the cement and sbr till its creamy but not stiff enough that you cant brush it on. Just use waterproofer/rendamix in the scratch with your fibres. leave it 5 days but keep hoseing it down every day and then use lime in your top coat, no waterproofer

I would do a splatter coat with sbr in the mix, mix a sloppy coat of three and one sand to cement with sbr in the water at ratio 3 to one, ready to scratch the next day, use fibres two handfuls in each mixer load, five sand to one cement with waterproof but not excessive,embed a render mesh as you go, leave scratched for a week and keep damp. Finish coat 6/1/1 sand cement lime, one handful of fibres in each mix... Ps splatter coat applied with a Harling trowel, don't have it too thick..

I normally get the customer to do it but if its local then i normally pop back on my way home each day and hose it

Hi,
I'm rendering a bungalow, and haven't done this since collage 6 years ago. (in which we didnt use sand & cement).

Thanks in advance.

Facing bricks? Knackered bricks? Painted bricks?
Full joints? Moss/lichen anywhere?

I no i dont think its needed unless we r in a massive heat wave or something then possibly if u had a big gable going every day to hose it all down wud add up like etc

What if the brickwork is in good condition but has no key.
Depends on the joint depths but we find in most cases it's fine and we never have any issues. If it's not needed and your pricing against others then you need to be competative.

AAC blocks is a definate sbr slurry

Last edited:
There are certain situations where it's necessary. The slower the set the stronger it is. If you've got strong suction and heat from the sun it could dry out way too fast and would be about a strong as dog ****.

Hi,

Thanks in advance.

the best advice i can give you is go and employ a plasterer who can render.
a good quality render job will increase the value of the property, a low quality render will lower the value of the property.
this is not a job for someone who went on a plastering corse 6 years ago!

Last edited:
If she has big tits more like ..... sorry Arti :RpS_blushing:

was that comment really necessary keith.......................:huh: women arent just a piece of meat, you sexist pig......................:rolleyes)

I don't leave the scratch 5 days either, I prefer to catch it when it's still a little green .

Then I'm not chasing my arse trying to rub it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.