stained and cracked render

Acousticceiling

hello all

we have cracks to the bottom corners of windows going diagonally about 30% of the windows are affected

we also have water staining coming through on the below ground external walls these are walls holding the garden back from the basement garden

we also have water staining beneath and at each side of the coping stones to these walls

i know we can discuss these issues all week but i need a definitive answer so is there anyone who can survey it and tell me what is causing it

please help without having a dig

if it helps i can upload some pictures but really need someone to visit and tell me whats wrong as the builder just keeps shouting and saying its our fault he has told me to pay to cover it with an expensive sandtex paint system but will this just keep the water in and cause more problems later.

fed up with the arguments now

hello all

we have cracks to the bottom corners of windows going diagonally about 30% of the windows are affected

we also have water staining coming through on the below ground external walls these are walls holding the garden back from the basement garden

we also have water staining beneath and at each side of the coping stones to these walls

i know we can discuss these issues all week but i need a definitive answer so is there anyone who can survey it and tell me what is causing it

please help without having a dig

if it helps i can upload some pictures but really need someone to visit and tell me whats wrong as the builder just keeps shouting and saying its our fault he has told me to pay to cover it with an expensive sandtex paint system but will this just keep the water in and cause more problems later.

fed up with the arguments now
Might as well leave some pointers, like location and contact details so someone might be able to help

From what I have read so far the crack sounds like a stress crack. Not nessesarrilly the builders fault. It can happen if the render is tight up to windows and sills more so on the sunny side. The window expands and causes the render to crack. But you say at an angle so still sounds like a stress crack, caused by the building.

Is the other wall a retaining wall with backfill? Unless you have a dpc and tanking, adequate coping then this wall will always have problems. Seen so many off them and it is down to bad design not wrong applied render.

Most copings are laid wrong. Not enough overhang and no rain water drip. Stains are usually in line with the joints. This is not an easy problem for builders to get over. Merchants stock only 2 sizes. Too small for rendered walls. I did have a local concrete manufacturer who made any size to order.

Any render below the damp proof course or within 150mm of ground level will most likely get some staining and again not down to the render or renderer. Bad design.

Water staining below window sills will be down to inadequate size sills and probably out of level. Nothing to do with the render or renderer.

Asking someone to come out and have a look is unlikely. No money in it.

I did it once and got a very abusive phone call from the builder. Not going there again. Actually in that case (1990) the young lady was being taken for a mug and she paid me £30 upfront for a written report. Being two towns away I thought I might get away with it. No.

She did win a small claims claim though and rightly so.

Last edited:
IMG_2481.JPG
IMG_2482.JPG
IMG_2483.JPG
IMG_2484.JPG
IMG_2485.JPG
IMG_2486.JPG
IMG_2487.JPG
IMG_2488.JPG
IMG_2489.JPG
IMG_2490.JPG

theres alot of water on the brick work without a doubt.....the plastering seems ok ....but christ wheres the water coming from.

its like its been built on a swamp.

i can come and give you a report......but its gonna cost in all fairness about £7.500
as il need to test the land and local rendering.
the contaminated grounds and scientific results are time consuming .
il need to check with your local council for the sea level height.
and take samples of grounds materials/blocks/bricks and interior and exterior works.

speak with you (builder)
etc.

@gps is my right hand man he may get cost down too about £6.500.

met with the developer today after meeting a site manager there for another company he said the same as you basically
the substrate was saturated before render and that the coping stones were wrong but the developer says rubbish its all because of the render i have told him to get a report and then he is going to send an email to sandtex it and cover it up.
i dont think this is going to work and is just going to make it worse,

and your right flynmyman it is the same houses so you know the background got a cunning plan?