staff

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

oasis

just cant find good staff! im sure Rich Brown will agree!

coving man dint turn up and will not pic up phone..painter left mess customer not happy .. other plaster did a crappy job needs filler on walls|! i wish there were 10 of me!

This is why i work alone .All the running around putting others work right all the hassle and ringing around finding the right people on the right days.
All the extra paperwork and tax isnt worth the hassle for very little extra hard income.
Once your employing men and charging vat and doing lots of jobs hassle is your reward pal you wont make millions just a slightly better income than doing it on your own and a laborer.

how i see it as i have work flat out at least 3 calls a day atm i cant do it all so there is a opportunity to gain more money here ?

Pug said:
at what cost to you and your reputation though mate?

yeah i know..is it just me but i have work on my door all year round and im not even starting to push it!just feel if u dnt do something with it your letting a opportunity walk away.

streesin me out for ages i just cant say NO soryy 2 busy,,!

You need a good team you can rely on & trust!
But it'll take a while building up decent contacts.
Maybe even years, it won't happen over night mate.

Who are the people who've been working for you oasis?
Do you know them or just phoned em up out the yellow pages or somewhere else?

recommended to me a few .. new a few ... some people want 2 much one spread wants £230 a day for him and his lad.. how can u make money on that price.. more like £180

hard to start with as you need to show a run of work but if u have no staff u cant make that run of work

skim 4 walls in a room price around £320 cost spread £230 + £20 mats leave ya with £70 IF they dnt mess up

Just say No.
You only need X amount of money per wek to live on.Earn that mon to fri .Sat and sun is luxury money holidays and those little treats we all deserve every now and then.
All the time your quoting your not working pal.Reduce your advertising if youre getting to many calls to save you money.
Remember its not just about making the money its also about saving the money where you can,which will inturn make you money i.e not wasting time quoting and blazing money on gadgets and Fads !!!

youl be vat reg b4 you no it then its £320 + 20 % vat with new increase planned.
That my son is then £384 + a load of paper work.You wont get as much work then i tell ya pal.

crap ent it! just you try so hard when u start out 2 get work then when you get it you have 2 much now you kind of dont want it?

i am happy with just me and lab----

keeps us below vat threshold

as you say no getting rich in this game...

wages+a bit

oasis said:
recommended to me a few .. new a few ... some people want 2 much one spread wants £230 a day for him and his lad.. how can u make money on that price.. more like £180

hard to start with as you need to show a run of work but if u have no staff u cant make that run of work

things is Oasis, why cant the guy ask for £230 a day? if your asking him to do the job, the job is a job, Im the same if any builder asks me to do a job, I wont work for less than 150 a day, trade or not. HOWEVER if he was begging you for work, then theres no way he can demand a price like that, but my view is, if you want someone to do a job for you, its not for them to line your pocket, if they worked for you full time then yes you make money out of them, but they dont.

If you know what I mean!

agreed oasis youve got a cheek telling half decent spreads what they can earn maybe thas why youre left with all the sh1t ;D

How much money do you need to be happy? you can turnover £65,000 a year pay ur lab £12,000 pay ur self £30,000 rest materials.
Plus weekend treat money!!! and those little dodges we all know about

nah how i see it is if you get work handed to u on a plate the why shoud u get top domestic rates? i dont i only charge 180 a day 2 builder?

but why should he work for you, he can demand whatever price he wants mate, however if the work became quite regular then yes he should drop his prices to a trade price.

it may be work handed to him on a plate, but your not doing him a favour, he may be busy, and if he is YOU have to pay for HIS services at HIS going rate, its business, your running one, but so is he.

Freerider_2009 said:
but why should he work for you, he can demand whatever price he wants mate, however if the work became quite regular then yes he should drop his prices to a trade price.

it may be work handed to him on a plate, but your not doing him a favour, he may be busy, and if he is YOU have to pay for HIS services at HIS going rate, its business, your running one, but so is he.

i understand this but i allways worked on the fact that there is domestic rate customers.. and trade rates!..

i remember plasters were 120 a day not so long ago now every1 wants 150 but we only charged that as it was a business we run not a one man band..?
good knows..maybe ill have to say no and pick the best jobs,

well said freerider, oasis on that price you wont make 50 quid a day on someone to do domestic work that needs to be booked in unless youre very lucky and someones out of work f**k me you get 120 a day sitework

i dont de vaule what people do but if were offring work on plate then they should do it to suit us a bit more? other wise there will be no work?,, sod it prices are going up and if they dnt take it thats that ..more jobs will pop up the next day

Yeh but what are you expecting them to do in a day?
Whats wrong with £230 a day for someone with more experience than you?
It doesnt matter if its on a plate whatever that means the jobs gotta be done right.

oasis said:
Freerider_2009 said:

i understand this but i allways worked on the fact that there is domestic rate customers.. and trade rates!..

i remember plasters were 120 a day not so long ago now every1 wants 150 but we only charged that as it was a business we run not a one man band..?
good knows..maybe ill have to say no and pick the best jobs,

yor a one man band arent you?

yeah I see where your coming from dude, thing is, from me and one of the guys I work with experience, neither of us will work for builders or other tradesman at a discounted rate until they have proven themselves to not be c**ts, as generally they s**t on you and are out for themselves!

Work is work though,if you dont want to work for less than £x then dont take the job.
I think Oasis would be better of if he employed a spread for say £xx,000 a year 8 til 5 gave him a van and left him to it.That way youd make and hed be happy not chasing for work.

150 a day for a good spread 60 quid for a lab holiday pay sick pay etc and someone who could teach him too

I think skimming has hit the nail on the head there Oasis, thats best way your make money, but finding someone you can trust is hard to do!

Well thanks for the in put just after advice as 2 wot u lot do, seems the best way is 2 stick 2 wot ur good at and keep it all under your own control. Flynn im a 3 man band mate ..

you see what I use to do is if I was if I could not make money on teh job I would just get the work and give it my spread. If I made no money on the job that did not matter as they had used my company and it was my firm that did the work.

You win some jobs and you lose some but the reputation in the end is what makes or breaks a business.

You will never get rich with plastering and if you are stacked with work sub out to the best and make sure the work is spot on.

what makes you a better spread than the person you are subbing out to? You tell us you charge something like £220 a day for you and a labourer yet someone the other way its not good?

Thats just my thoughts if someone is begging you for work then you can determin how much to pay them but as ever we all have our prices that we will work for.

I have had a fair jobs in the past that I have made a few £K on and thats what makes it all worth while in the end.

Just my opinion but reputation is what you need to look after and then that will look after thepennies

Danny

.You will never get rich with plastering and if you are stacked with work sub out to the best and make sure the work is spot on.

The sky is the limit in any business, Platering included. The companies that usually contract the huge jobs are on about 10 % profit and the work is worth anything from 500k up. They put a manager in charge and usually have a number of sites.
These companies are often owned by 1 or 2 persons. Its basically a case of when the going gets tough these guys are the ones that get going and whilst we think we have a hard days work these guys have an even harder. They also get to play harder

im the same as oasis, if i have work that i cant fit in (isnt the case so much at the min) i will give a few people a ring that i have worked with before and say ive got x amount of days worth of work its worth 170 a day to you and then its up to them if they take it or if they take a lab.
I know people should be able to earn what they want but it is your name that they are using and you got the job so why shouldnt you make a bit on each job

I think Oasis that most of the older lads on here have been in your position and have worked out that it just aint worth the hassle unless you are totaly business minded and give the tools up and concentrate on running the business and at the most getting materials on the jobs.Tradesman not builders get recomended because they are good and the few times ive put blokes on jobs which ive been to busy to do ive either had a phone call saying we thought you were doing the job thats why you were recomended or ive known the customer has not been happy about it.I would still go big again if i thought it was worth it but you wouldnt catch me on the tools luckily i can still call on some good tradesman though they are all getting a bit old now but thats what you have to do is build a good team around you who are loyal look after them and hopefully they will look after you, at the moment ime on my own unless ime working with my boys at least no cock ups unless i make them.Plasterers round my way are all starting to charge £180 a day now but site rates are still crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.