squaring off rounded corners

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

berbie38

Hi guys
wondering if anyone can help me i am new to plastering just been on a course for my house diy project. I have a fire place that has rounded off external corners and i would like to make them square using thin beads.my problem is the wings of the bead are not long enough to run square with the wall , iwas going to attach them to the wall with bonding using the bonding to bring them square i.e there will be a gap of bonding between wall and wing. is this ok and would i need to fill the whole of the inside of the bead the full length of the wall with bonding so that the finish plaster has something to adhere to or will the finish plaster adhere to the bead if its hollow at the back except for my daubs. hope you understand my question many thanks guys

Have you thought about using the rendering mesh bead instead of the skim bead? The wings are wider and can be filled in with bonding then skimmed over. If the fireplace is rounded at the moment then this will give you a better chance of squareing off. The plaster will adhere to the bead itself but always better to have something behind it. I always scrim down the wings of the bead as well to prevent cracking, especially if they're hollow.

You could always put a mesh bead on,fill out with bonding so it's more or less square and then put your skim bead on top. That way you won't have any hollow and should have a perfect corner. You might be more used to skimming to this type of bead. Beads are pretty cheap anyway and you can use you bonding mix to fill out and stick the skim (thin) bead on  :)

thanks for the advice much appreciated are their different sizes of mesh bead ie the size of the holes in them if so which 1 should i get
Have you thought about using the rendering mesh bead instead of the skim bead? The wings are wider and can be filled in with bonding then skimmed over. If the fireplace is rounded at the moment then this will give you a better chance of squareing off. The plaster will adhere to the bead itself but always better to have something behind it. I always scrim down the wings of the bead as well to prevent cracking, especially if they're hollow.

You could always put a mesh bead on,fill out with bonding so it's more or less square and then put your skim bead on top. That way you won't have any hollow and should have a perfect corner. You might be more used to skimming to this type of bead. Beads are pretty cheap anyway and you can use you bonding mix to fill out and stick the skim (thin) bead on  :)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=angle+beads&selected=products

Have a look at the above page. You can see the difference in the angle beads, even more so when you see them up close! The lengths are 2.4m or 3m usually. It's the expamet Maxicon I was thinking of.

Not sure of the wing width but about double that of a normal thin coat bead. The holes are bigger but all you're doing really is gobbing some bonding inside so it will actually make this easier. Just scrape any excess off the bead and I usually go over them with a wet brush as well. Just leave the tip of the bead for your skim coats. Probably won't need additional skim bead on top but always an option if you're not happy with the corner.

Have a mess around with the bead on the wall before you sick it with anything, that way you'll know whether it's suitable.

Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but remember to run your trowel up the bead when skimming and not across it which is what a lot of people do when starting out. This will cause the plaster to gather and you'll get a curve at the corner. Kind of a reverse of what you have now I should imagine  ;) :)

alternatively mate square the corner of first using bonding and then stick/staple the bead on ;)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=angle+beads&selected=products

Have a look at the above page. You can see the difference in the angle beads, even more so when you see them up close! The lengths are 2.4m or 3m usually. It's the expamet Maxicon I was thinking of.

Not sure of the wing width but about double that of a normal thin coat bead. The holes are bigger but all you're doing really is gobbing some bonding inside so it will actually make this easier. Just scrape any excess off the bead and I usually go over them with a wet brush as well. Just leave the tip of the bead for your skim coats. Probably won't need additional skim bead on top but always an option if you're not happy with the corner.

Have a mess around with the bead on the wall before you sick it with anything, that way you'll know whether it's suitable.
thanks lee dont worry about sucking eggs any advice is valued highly
thanks mate
Don't want to tell you how to suck eggs but remember to run your trowel up the bead when skimming and not across it which is what a lot of people do when starting out. This will cause the plaster to gather and you'll get a curve at the corner. Kind of a reverse of what you have now I should imagine  ;) :)

alternatively mate square the corner of first using bonding and then stick/staple the bead on  ;)
would that be as simple as just putting alump of bonding right down the wall and the pushing the skim bead onto the wet bond squaring it up and scraping off excess

Id do what nicksey said. Square the corner off first using bonding and then stick/staple the bead on. If your new to plastering and doing work to your own house then this is the perfect place to be trying out different trowel techniques. You dont have to get your edge 100% plumb cos your bead will sort that out but it will give you an idea of how to do it.

Id do what nicksey said. Square the corner off first using bonding and then stick/staple the bead on. If your new to plastering and doing work to your own house then this is the perfect place to be trying out different trowel techniques. You dont have to get your edge 100% plumb cos your bead will sort that out but it will give you an idea of how to do it.
do u mean put on bonding let it dry then stick to it, or put on bonding and stick bead to the wet corner

alternatively mate square the corner of first using bonding and then stick/staple the bead on  ;)
would that be as simple as just putting alump of bonding right down the wall and the pushing the skim bead onto the wet bond squaring it up and scraping off excess

Getting the mesh bead on first mate will give you something to work to and if the bead is set right you'll know you're working to a squared corner from the get go. Always easier to work to something in my experience ;)

Same thing really :)

Getting the mesh bead on first mate will give you something to work to and if the bead is set right you'll know you're working to a squared corner from the get go. Always easier to work to something in my experience  ;)

Same thing really  :)
like the idea of that mate . thhink i will put mesh bead on so nose is flush with the wall fill up to the nose with bonding .then put the thin bead on it will be spot on then. thanks 4 help guys

Mesh this, bond that etc...

Board it and skim it - Chimney breast , boarded and skimmed - Done !
nice idea cant board though coz front of chimmney breast has built in surround

welcome to the world of plastering mate and as youve probably guessed by now theres lots of different ways to do one thing ;D

welcome to the world of plastering mate and as youve probably guessed by now theres lots of different ways to do one thing  ;D

And the beauty of this forum is that you ask how to do something and every concivable way of doing it will suddenly pop up before your eyes! Take your pick and bash it out.... Easy life!! ;)

welcome to the world of plastering mate and as youve probably guessed by now theres lots of different ways to do one thing  ;D

And the beauty of this forum is that you ask how to do something and every concivable way of doing it will suddenly pop up before your eyes! Take your pick and bash it out.... Easy life!!  ;)

yeah mate well i guess theres different way that work so pick one and slap it on :D

And the beauty of this forum is that you ask how to do something and every concivable way of doing it will suddenly pop up before your eyes! Take your pick and bash it out.... Easy life!!  ;)
picked up some good tips too, some make me money daily an the best bit is theres a lack of egos on here most try to help not take the p. :)

picked up some good tips too, some make me money daily an the best bit is theres a lack of egos on here most try to help not take the p. :)

there was sum bloke few weeks bk who got lairy and danny kicked him off the site, or i think it was segs who booted him off ;D

all the guys on here are helpfull, i think everyone is on here for the same reason - to learn and to share there knowledge

Status
Not open for further replies.