Square set cornices

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLO33

Hi All,

I am about to start an extensive renovation on my house and I am looking to do square set cornice (no cornice) throughout the house.

I have hung plaster a few times with a friend who is a plasterer, however I have only hung plaster where cornice is used. So I am wondering if anyone can give me some advise on how to hang it without using cornice.

So from my understanding this is the process (and a few questions I have):
1. Hang the ceiling first
2. Hang the top sheet, and butt this tight to the ceiling sheet.
3. Hang the bottom sheet, and butt it tight to the top sheet.

So like a top down approach, rather that a bottom up approach.

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Q1. Is that the process or should I be doing something else?[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Q2. What happens is the gap between the bottom sheet and the floor is greater than 10mm, do I need to do something else or should I just use bigger skirting boards?[/FONT]
[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Q3. which way should the top plaster sheet be butted to the ceiling sheet (3 options in attached photo).
[/FONT]
If you have any other information, that would be great.

plaster options.jpg

DL033
Do you mean you are about to plasterboard a room? Picture 3 . Always board a ceiling first (for fire protection). What is the height of the room? If possible one board floor to ceiling.

Yes, I am about to hang the plasterboard in a room. So I should do the ceiling first and then ceiling board should butt up tight to the stud wall. Then the first sheet should but up tight to the ceiling sheet.

So option 3 in my attached image?

The height is 2400mm, so it will be two sheets.

See if you can get a board that is 2400 or as high or higher than the room. Boards should run floor to ceiling in one piece if at all possible.. look for a taper edge board if you are just jointing. What are you fixing to on the walls?

the boards come in 1200, so I will need two for height.

Not really fixing anything on to the walls, in some I will have cupboards but they will have extra stud work to handle that.

Are you using the smaller boards that b&q sell so it's easier for you? Ideally use 1800x900 12.5mm for the ceiling and 2400x1200 12.5mm for the walls, you could get these all delivered. Screw them up don't use nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.