Sponge float

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac82

Saw a spread with sponge float today and was just wondering what they use them for never seen a spread with one before :RpS_confused:!!

New to this forum, been plastering for 14 year and never came across a spread with sponge float is all.

Saw a spread with sponge float today and was just wondering what they use them for never seen a spread with one before :RpS_confused:!!

@Mac82 have a read through this. theres a few other threads as well. just search sponge finish. top right, search bar.

gives you the general idea. frowned upon by some, not by others. each to there own. so long as the finish is spot on .... :RpS_unsure:

http://www.plasterersforum.com/tips...ltifinnish.html?highlight=sponge+finish+multi

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow .....they should freeze that mans sperm for the future of plasterers.
A true great species. Wow just wow.

Cheers for that pal, can't beleve that some people use that instead of just troweling it up with a trowel but each to their own. Cheers.

Spongefloats are for 1 coat plasters and machine plasters Mac some people use them on multi but that is not what they are designed for.

We've used them as long as I've been around. They're used for floating interior & exterior sand finish textures. Exterior sand finish - 1 cement, 2 lime, 3 sand we put on a couple of tight coats over a stucco brown coat & float. For inside we mix 1 Keenes cement , 2 lime, & 3 #30 silica sand. Usually spread this over veneer base coat, but they used to spread it over a hardwall brown coat.

We've used them as long as I've been around. They're used for floating interior & exterior sand finish textures. Exterior sand finish - 1 cement, 2 lime, 3 sand we put on a couple of tight coats over a stucco brown coat & float. For inside we mix 1 Keenes cement , 2 lime, & 3 #30 silica sand. Usually spread this over veneer base coat, but they used to spread it over a hardwall brown coat.

Yes but to be fair Loren its a different ball game across the pond :RpS_thumbup:

Even more so when it comes to football.

Oh dear ! Dont even get me started on that subject Loren. i tried watching nfl once and gave up as the game gets stopped more times than it starts!? Prefer rugby to nfl.:RpS_thumbup:

the cheeleaders are entertaining, though:RpS_thumbup: if only they wouldnt open their mouths. to speak.

hes flattened. will rub up, trowel up. heres the comment from the video:

"Wow some negative comments about using a sponge float, I first saw it being used@ 7 years ago 2 kids about 18 year olds putting a massive area on, simple thing is its quicker, and neater less energy on old work you can get away with 1 coat, 1 sponge,1 trowel up, it uses hardly any water so ends up with no slacks or water marks, the small room in the video would save me around 40 minutes in setting time and a lot less energy used up . To do this the old fashion way would take this room 2 coats, 1 trowel without water 2 trowels with water and 1 hard trowel. On new board work it wins bigger areas and less setting time = more money if on bonus the finish job is no better or worse than the old fashion way personally I do it both ways, but the general rule is the bigger areas I would normally use the sponge because it's easier and faster"

assumed mac82 was talking about multi, hence the vid. to be fair the bloke has a few other vids that seem decent enough. hes says he does both ways. if mac82 is asking what it should be used for then lucius' post is what hes after.

anything that makes life easier and doesnt compromise the finished product is fine by me. speedskim, plazzies, sponging ....whatever works for you. ive tried sponging with multi after reading the eponymous thread. posted about it and got the usual drivel and derision in response. to be honest, i didnt see the point. i could have two coated in the same time. also found i just ended up trowelling up the snot. but thats a first time on a domestic with all the fiddly bits that go with it. i can see how day in day out on big hits it would work and be faster. its down to choice. i couldnt give a flying fcuk either way. read the plazzie threads on here. its funny. everyone starts out indignant and then before you know it every fcukers got one. each to their own

Status
Not open for further replies.