Speedskim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blanda7

Looking for a bit of advise, looking into buying my first speedskim set, are they easy enough to use, been plastering over 12 years, so would think there would be a problem

Try searching old posts mate ,Best thing to do is just buy the set and jump i the deep end and try all different ways of using it for yourself and which ever way suits you and the quality of your work will be the best answer

Bought a set recently but only used them a few times and they worked fine but looking forward to using them on big site work

worth investing i bought a set after taking ages to decide

some jobs they will help some they wont but always handy to have

i use a speedskim mate but only for flattening off before laying in the second coat as no-one alive (maybe some-one on the forum will disagree) can flatten off quicker using a trowel than they can using a speedskim. i use the 1200mm long and find thats more than plenty to use comfortably

Use mine regular but as said before like marmite !

Sometimes, if doing a fairly large ceiling over artex for example, by the time I've finish putting on and cleaning up etc it's already ready for a flatten with regular trowel, but as I understand you need to get on it before that with the speedskim...
Just wondering how you'd get over that?

Sometimes, if doing a fairly large ceiling over artex for example, by the time I've finish putting on and cleaning up etc it's already ready for a flatten with regular trowel, but as I understand you need to get on it before that with the speedskim...

What do you think @Danny ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Lay half the ceiling on then speedskim it then do the rest

I flatten in sooner with the speedskim... I also lick over with an 18 as well... but thats just me....

I flatten in sooner with the speedskim... I also lick over with an 18 as well... but thats just me....

cheers Danny, I'll give it a go as soon as I've got the stuff.
Love experimenting with new stuff.
Told a mate about it as soon as I read about it in your Plasterers News email, he just laughed and said it was a gimmick, he's been on the trowel twice as long as me

cheers Danny, I'll give it a go as soon as I've got the stuff.
Love experimenting with new stuff.
Told a mate about it as soon as I read about it in your Plasterers News email, he just laughed and said it was a gimmick, he's been on the trowel twice as long as me

A gimmick that's been around for a fair few years now :)

Its like marmite some people love them some people hate them... they can take a bit of getting use to but thats like anything really :)

Used the 1800mm on the pole for 2 passes of an 80m2 ceiling on thursday.
If your timings right there unbelievably good.

Screenshot_2015-01-10-18-00-07.jpg

Used the 1800mm on the pole for 2 passes of an 80m2 ceiling on thursday.
If your timings right there unbelievably good.
Are you able to apply even pressure over that 1800mm tho Scott?? I had it in my head thàt anything wider than 1200mm would perhaps be a problem??

Bet with all those cut outs it was a bitch, hate it when you get a dry bit drag through the skim. Personally I use refinas 1m spat and can get an immaculate finish, I don't believe you can finish all the way with a speedskim.

Its fine greg it requires very little pressure to get it to sit down flat, I flattened in between coats and hit it a bit earlier then you would with the spat.
I have a couple more monster ceilings over the next few months on that care home, will order some new work kecks and do a video I think.

Bet with all those cut outs it was a bitch, hate it when you get a dry bit drag through the skim. Personally I use refinas 1m spat and can get an immaculate finish, I don't believe you can finish all the way with a speedskim.

You can't finish with it but 2 passes with the speed skim 1 polish with the s*p*r*lex the finish looks like it grew there.
Also all those cut outs were fine, had the builder brush 2 neat coats of sbr round all the cut outs so you can fly straight over them without any harder gear ploughing through the set.

Thinking about it now I nearly always work alongside the same firm of sparks, I am going to buy them a bottle of sbr and get them to prime all their cut outs. The t**ts

You can't finish with it but 2 passes with the speed skim 1 polish with the s*p*r*lex the finish looks like it grew there.
Also all those cut outs were fine, had the builder brush 2 neat coats of sbr round all the cut outs so you can fly straight over them without any harder gear ploughing through the set.

I thought you could finish with the new speedskims?

Anyone tried the speedskim sf for finishing?

I thought you could finish with the new speedskims?

Anyone tried the speedskim sf for finishing?
You can get very close to a finish with them but for me I still think it needs a little tickle with a trowel.
That said I did finish a 4.2 metre high ceiling using just the speed skim on an extension pole and it looked ok. Will dig a couple of photos out in a minute.

I use the blue blades. I can't personally finish with it but some say u can.. There are lads on YouTube finishing with it

Its fine greg it requires very little pressure to get it to sit down flat, I flattened in between coats and hit it a bit earlier then you would with the spat.
I have a couple more monster ceilings over the next few months on that care home, will order some new work kecks and do a video I think.
storm trooper white kecks I hope.:RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.