Speedskim

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
to be honest thats shite mate... Ive been in the game plastering and scaffolding 33 years and I,m ok.. its how you look after yourself...

Its actually true mate. Not everyone is affected and if you aren't then that's great (you're quite lucky) but a lot of Plasterers have had to either pack it all in or work through the pain with gritted teeth.

A lot of college lecturers are a good example, they've taken up teaching because of the affect its had on the body. A friend of ours right now is seriously considering giving it all up (to be a cabby or a lorry driver) because his elbow has given in (he's been plastering 25 years). He's had lots of injections and lots of Physio to try and cure the problem over the last 3 years. The financial loss having time off and healthcare has been massive for him.

He came with us to BG last week, and said if it wasn't for using Speedskim, he would have had to pack it all in 2 years ago. So in effect he's caught the problem too late. Even though he's using Speedskim, simply laying the plaster on with a trowel is proving too much. Its the luck of the draw it seems and a real shame because he is a fantastic spread and absolutely loves the trade.

On the more positive side we do have a lot of customers buying our equipment who have caught the problem in time, and Speedskim is now extending their careers. I know because I answer the phone to them every day.

For us traditional methods are very important and its how youngsters should be taught - but its important to avoid the long term damage if you can. Speedskim reduces the risk younger guys face in developing pain later in their career, and helps Plasterers who are feeling the effects - making their working day far more comfortable, sometimes extending their time in the trade. Speedskim is the modern solution to a very real problem in the plastering industry...

Last edited:
Yes absolutely everyone does have their own opinion. With this issue its typically driven by how well you feel in the present.

Some guys are very lucky and dont feel the effects too much - a lot of guys aren't so lucky though.

No ones saying the trowel is a thing of the past (it never will be), the art is only using it when you really have to. Speedskim is a preventative measure - for a lot of guys its an insurance policy.

Its actually true mate. Not everyone is affected and if you aren't then that's great (you're quite lucky) but a lot of Plasterers have had to either pack it all in or work through the pain with gritted teeth.

A lot of college lecturers are a good example, they've taken up teaching because of the affect its had on the body. A friend of ours right now is seriously considering giving it all up (to be a cabby or a lorry driver) because his elbow has given in (he's been plastering 25 years). He's had lots of injections and lots of Physio to try and cure the problem over the last 3 years. The financial loss having time off and healthcare has been massive for him.

He came with us to BG last week, and said if it wasn't for using Speedskim, he would have had to pack it all in 2 years ago. So in effect he's caught the problem too late. Even though he's using Speedskim, simply laying the plaster on with a trowel is proving too much. Its the luck of the draw it seems and a real shame because he is a fantastic spread and absolutely loves the trade.

On the more positive side we do have a lot of customers buying our equipment who have caught the problem in time, and Speedskim is now extending their careers. I know because I answer the phone to them every day.

For us traditional methods are very important and its how youngsters should be taught - but its important to avoid the long term damage if you can. Speedskim reduces the risk younger guys face in developing pain later in their career, and helps Plasterers who are feeling the effects - making their working day far more comfortable, sometimes extending their time in the trade. Speedskim is the modern solution to a very real problem in the plastering industry...
Load of b*ll***s speedskim is so unnecessary you get the wall flat enough with your trowel.

I have mate, cant see the advantage, dont see why anyone would want to flatten a 1st or 2nd coat.. trowel does that...

The idea is that you flatten a 1.2 metre area in one swoop rather than many more with your trowel so you save wear and tear on your arms. I dont use one but know many that do and they keep telling me to get one.

but if you get one now, it will make what like skimming you do have to do even less effort

No matter how flat you lay it on, your first trowel over is flattening, or closing it in, thats what this does, just for that stage, then put it away. Next stage is finishing, nobody starts finishing straight from laying on surely?

Ive had my first speed skim ( 600 ) ages.. I now have the 1200 and 300.. its worth every penny.. you can cover so much more m2 cos u cos flatten off in half the time..!! A plasterer I work with has been in game for nearly 40 years.!! At first he said what the f@#k is that..!! He now has 2 of them n said they are the best things ever!! Yea each to your own n all that bum..

Ill still b sat with a brew while rest r chasing arse flattening ..!!

......rant over !!!

'' best thing ever'' ?? he wants to get out a bit mate...lol.. im selling 2 ... get him to buy em... I;ll cut ya in..

The whole point of the second coat is to press in "flatten" with your trowel so can't see the point of speedskim wish I figured that out before I bought one haha

They seem to work for me I lay it on pretty flat then get the speedskim on it right away. Only had small walls so far but think on big ceilings it will be spot on. Particulary good on uneven old walls for me prefer it to a feather edge.

I did a 45m2 n was a maassive help! ! Saved alot of shoulder pain!!! People will differ in opinion like anything. ..

I use mine as much as I can. Had a over skim over stipple yest on a arched ceiling on a dormer.. was fab for former then curve s instead of getting me trowel dug in lke a spaz!!

The speedskim aint just about getting it flat, it's also about getting your 2nd coat on without having to wait for it to pull in. I have used it mine on rendering and it flattened it off brilliantly but not tried it on any hardwall yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.