Speedskim Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes round off the edges zombie, it makes a big difference:RpS_thumbsup:, some people just dont get the speedskim or cant use it, dont know why they bother making comments if all they can do is slag it off, well done zombie for giving it a try.

@zombie i took the corners off mine with me tin snips so a nice big radius, wouldn't bother trying to turn the edges up cos you could end up warping it. Been using my speedy today on board work but the studs are at 600mm and due to damp weather and the boards being put on by the customer before xmas the boards are bowed and dished so, the speedy came in very handy the day and i used it on both coats. My method differs from yours but i find i seem to have more time rather than get it done quicker if you know what i mean.

yes mate...tbh any time saved is just a bonus im just fed up of always being knackered and running round like a fool so il settle for that if it helps a bit:RpS_thumbup:

whats your method buddy?

Yes round off the edges zombie, it makes a big difference:RpS_thumbsup:, some people just dont get the speedskim or cant use it, dont know why they bother making comments if all they can do is slag it off, well done zombie for giving it a try.

So when people ask for reviews they should only get replies from the people that like it? I think its shite. I have worked with several people who think its shite. I have also seen jobs done with it that are good. But as its widely known on the forum its not for me

I get what your saying and in the wrong hands you could realy **** up a set for sure....I do like the principal of them though and am going to give it a fair crack of the whip...

I think im along the same line of you though with the spat concept...as straight away I was thinking rather than the 1200 on a 1m pole with 2 hands id like to try the 600 with a very short pole that can be controlled more with 1 hand but off the floor...

If I can get that to work I recon that would be a good in-between way to tackle lids maybe...:RpS_thumbup:
Good luck I hope it works for you, I've used mine for 2 jobs it's been sat in the garage and has warped to ****, if it took time of the set I'd just about understand it seems like most of you are flattening with it then troweling up with a trowel which I'm struggling to get my head around if you want to save time one coat it, if you're using a machine I'd understand because you have to keep up with the bloke spraying but then you finish it with a trowel, it seems like it was brought out to fix a problem which was never there unless you believe the particle vibration stuff, a metal blade will be brought out it'll compete with the eze spat and the plastic speed skim will slowly disappear .........

What is your method @raggles ?

This is how i did it today.

1. First coat with whatever trowel i picked out of the bucket carbon or stainless but, put 2 walls on to standard i normally would
2. Run the speedy down from ceiling line then up from skirt line and internals as you go
3. second coat with steel trowel both walls
4. Repeat step 2
5. tidy up internals with brush trowel etc
6. when picked up steel trowel for a wet one on both walls
7. Straight onto them with the plasterers1stopshop plazi

I mixed the gear a bit wetter than normal not loads but enough to notice and i think leaving it just that little bit longer before putting the speedy on reduces the drag that causes tiger stripes. as a guide there were about 7 boards in each wall

yes mate...tbh any time saved is just a bonus im just fed up of always being knackered and running round like a fool so il settle for that if it helps a bit:RpS_thumbup:

whats your method buddy?
It is what works for you mate ,you will always get others saying different, just life mate ,when i start the old boy i worked with was shocked i had a still rule rather then a length of 4inch skirting board and he told me every day it was **** :RpS_confused: live and let live :RpS_thumbup:

So when people ask for reviews they should only get replies from the people that like it? I think its shite. I have worked with several people who think its shite. I have also seen jobs done with it that are good. But as its widely known on the forum its not for me

We need a @beddy Beam to rival speedskim/excaliber/eze spat type tools..................I think were gonna need a bigger catalogue marra........................:huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was keeping the @beddy blade for our new trowel range...........:huh:.......But your the creative mind in this company so its up to you........................:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just thinking there's that many beddy products we need a way of moving them then i remembered we have the beddy barra marra

tbh... I think the 1200 is to big for lids and the 600 to small I reckon about 900max would be better I think you get fooled in to the bigger the trowel the quicker process bit like tryimg an 18" then realising there hard work and go back to a 13" with quicker hand speed etc

tbh... I think the 1200 is to big for lids and the 600 to small I reckon about 900max would be better I think you get fooled in to the bigger the trowel the quicker process bit like tryimg an 18" then realising there hard work and go back to a 13" with quicker hand speed etc

Give the 1200 time zombie you will get used to it on lids it just takes a while and then when i clicks you think why the fook didn't i get one sooner :RpS_lol:

Give the 1200 time zombie you will get used to it on lids it just takes a while and then when i clicks you think why the fook didn't i get one sooner :RpS_lol:

Im defo going to give it a go mate:RpS_thumbup:

think rounding the corners off is a must for me before I use again though!:RpS_blushing:

I was just thinking there's that many beddy products we need a way of moving them then i remembered we have the beddy barra marra

a think im gonna have to take on more staff.............................:RpS_thumbup:

I might bring eddie in for his hollywood expertise on commercials

Last edited:
That looks like a better answer, so if its not for you thats all you have to say, give your reason, i cant say ive read anything on this thread that would indicate to me you are slagging it off other than its not for you, but there are people on this thread that just say far to much and none of its constructive, like i said, give your reason and thats it, no need to keep posting about it.

Good luck I hope it works for you, I've used mine for 2 jobs it's been sat in the garage and has warped to ****, if it took time of the set I'd just about understand it seems like most of you are flattening with it then troweling up with a trowel which I'm struggling to get my head around if you want to save time one coat it, if you're using a machine I'd understand because you have to keep up with the bloke spraying but then you finish it with a trowel, it seems like it was brought out to fix a problem which was never there unless you believe the particle vibration stuff, a metal blade will be brought out it'll compete with the eze spat and the plastic speed skim will slowly disappear .........

least you tried it on two jobs, i used it on one.. wank... dont see the need..

2 poles???? Howd you do that ? ...one at each end?:RpS_unsure:

You got it! Even pressure across the blade doing it like this. You do look a little silly though, walking around a room with both arms in the air, just pretend you have just scored a sensational goal:RpS_thumbsup:

You got it! Even pressure across the blade doing it like this. You do look a little silly though, walking around a room with both arms in the air, just pretend you have just scored a sensational goal:RpS_thumbsup:

Finchy...please tell me your takin the pee pee:RpS_unsure:

have to say i bought one last week an d used it a few days later,and have to say its very useful indeed,deffo saves a bit of time,a very good buy i feel.

Using mine right now and I must say I likes it. Won't use it on every set , but its saved me some work today :thumbup:

I bet you look like a dwarf putting the wheelie bin out :rolleyes)

I love the speedskim system now but it took a few weeks to get right into it. I actually gave it up after the first day, but so glad I stuck with it. SS, then Refina Plazi and then a rubber trowel (sell em at plasterers one stop shop) to finish. The finish is unbeatable and the amount you can get on in a day is great.

They are both great tools. I love the Eze Spat with the flezi blade and the plazzi blade. But it doesn't flatten as well as the Speedskim and it doesn't let you get straight onto the second coat. That's if you do a second coat. I'll mostly use the Eze Spat on ceilings and the Speedskim on big areas off floor level or a hop up. Flatten vertically, second coat and flatten horizontally. It's the best thing since bread came sliced. The bloke who came up with it and saw it through should be knighted for services to plastering.

Status
Not open for further replies.