Speedskim blades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bones10

Alright all, I have the original speedskim(grey blade) and use it quite a bit but it's on last legs now so looking for new blade. But wondering what's diff in the blue blades? I know the other version is for finishing as has metal tip, so take it the original grey blade is non existent now? Cheers

Blue ones are exactly the same as grey ones in what they do to the wall. Just a change in appearance. They have fewer ribs on them for easier cleaning, in theory. The plastic is also ment to be more resilient to knocks an bumps in the van.

aye marra its a doddle.......................:RpS_unsure:

Apparently soaking speedy in warm water for an hour is preferably......................but WTF do speedskim know that i dont , eh................:RpS_thumbup:

Yes just take end cap off and slide new one in. If the old is stuck then soak in water or pour warm water from kettle down the groove to help loosen it. Then little spray of wd40 and slide the new one in.

Slightly off topic but I've got the 1200speedskim and I was wondering if im holding it wrong? you can only really hold it with your finger tips and its hard to get even pressure over a 4ft blade with your fingers, can you get a handle for it. also you cant really change direction with it, if your going along the wall with it and need to get around a socket, as soon as I change direction or angle of the blade it starts pulling the gear off the wall.
I've only used it once and it been it the van since, and now ive noticed the blade has a big chip/nick on the ribbed/slotted side. If I change the blade round to trowel with the non ribbed side will it do the same job?

Slightly off topic but I've got the 1200speedskim and I was wondering if im holding it wrong? you can only really hold it with your finger tips and its hard to get even pressure over a 4ft blade with your fingers, can you get a handle for it. also you cant really change direction with it, if your going along the wall with it and need to get around a socket, as soon as I change direction or angle of the blade it starts pulling the gear off the wall.
I've only used it once and it been it the van since, and now ive noticed the blade has a big chip/nick on the ribbed/slotted side. If I change the blade round to trowel with the non ribbed side will it do the same job?

This may help you. Certainly worth a read. images show the best way of using iras well.

You won't be able change the blade round to the other side as it won't fit.

Link: Speedskim

Gota thjnk the way you are going to use it , and you can still turn it when going along , u will be cutting into the plaster if u stop one side of it moving to turn it on the wall

Thanks for that one stop, The picture on that page has the guy with his fingers on the blade, I was just just holding the spine/handle thinking that putting my finger on the blade would give uneven pressure. Also a new blade costs the same as what I paid for mine from another guy who couldn't get on with it, so I don't if I should give it another try or not ....

CTP yeah I know what you are saying, I was pivoting on one end of the blade to get it over sockets etc and it cuts a hollow out of the gear. I think theres a bit of a learning curve with the speedskim which I just haven't had the time to master on price. I might get a new blade when I've got some day rate coming up, I don't mind trying new things on day rate haha.

I've just rounded the corners off on mine and it seems to be reducing the lines and allowing me to change direction a lot more without it digging in the plaster.

Hi all - we do recommend rounding the corners on the ST blade - no more than the diameter of a 5 pence piece (in our opinion) but it is down to personal preference. Some customers dont round them so we keep them square so the Plasterer can do his own thing.

The old grey blades have been phased out - replaced by the blue ST. They are now easier to clean as the distribution lines are only toward the edge (the last 19mm). The PVC is an improved grade with better UV filters which mean the blades stay supple over time - less susceptible to becoming brittle.

The colour was changed to blue as a new look - but also make it clear it was a PVC. In its old grey colour, images on the internet meant the blade could sometimes be confused as aluminium (and part of the handle).

Regards to cleaning its important to wash the unit down with clean water after each operation. As well as general cleaning, its important to carry out some routine maintenance. For this we recommend take off the end caps and remove the blade completely - then wash the aluminium slot with clean cold water then pop the blade back in, click the end caps back in place.

If you are plastering every day we recommend the routine maintenance once a week to ensure free blade movement, and easy blade change. The purpose of this operation and stripping down the unit is to remove any build-up of plaster/render silt.

If you are rendering every day we recommend stripping down the unit each day. These cleaning operations take just a few minutes and ensure optimum performance.

We are currently working on robust blade guards - these should be available in a few months. In the meantime 15mm foam pipe insulation provides quite good protection to the blade on both the ST and SF.

Useful FAQ links:

ST and general Speedskim FAQ's: Speedskim

SF FAQ's: Speedskim

:RpS_thumbup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.