speed skim questions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im tempted to get one of these but am wandering something.

ive heard that you put the plaster on, then go straight over it with a speed skim and then its ready to top coat as it doesnt being the water to the top.

but would this not mean that the back doesnt dry? and the top coat could then drag if you push to hard as it will pierce the top bit that was dry and make it move on the stuff thats still wet?

or am i just looking into all this to much? lol.

if you do use one how long does a hit take? as normal time is 3 hours?

cheers

I have had one for about 3 months now it's fine to get on it straight away to flatten on first and second coat I only use for 1st flatten then use plaziflex for the rest usually takes just over 2 1/2 hrs a hit

Scratch on speed skim, lay straight in, or dont bother to flatten between coats lay in then s/skim works well either way. Wetter the better.
You should be finished your set well under 2.5 hrs.

Your reading too much into it.. You will get to grips with it after a few hits n kno when and when not to use it

Do u think u can throw on a 3 bag set quicker than normal with the Speedskim

Sent from my iPhone using The Plasterers Forum

Well u put it on as normal regardless how much.. But u get on top of it quicker,flatten in quicker n finish the set quicker!!!

there mega mate...I wouldn't get out of van without mine now unless its just a bit of nowt to go at...honestly pal like I mentioned earlier if you click with them you will view in the same light as your electric whisk against knocking up by hand....

1 thing I will say is it saddens me a little bit that in a sense it takes another level of skill out of the job out ive seen many a spread **** a set up by bad technique and timing on a set with the speedskim you can literlay pass it to the labourer on its first day and get him to crack on behind you and just jump on at the wet trowel stage...

I just hope that with these new tools that are beginning to make our life easier we as spreads start pocketing the little extra we gain in profit/time and don't just pass the benefit straight into the hands of the contractor/home owner other wise we might as well have not bothered in the first place!!!

Well u put it on as normal regardless how much.. But u get on top of it quicker,flatten in quicker n finish the set quicker!!!

If you have to go back on it quicker does that then mean you can't get as much on or do you first then second coat one thing at a time then move on

If you have to go back on it quicker does that then mean you can't get as much on or do you first then second coat one thing at a time then move on

You don't have to flatten it quicker but if you put loads on u flatten first coat a lot quicker to get second on. It's not a case of usin it cos ur struggling with timings if anything your on top of it a lot faster.. Instead of towing your ******** off trying to catch up with yourself..!!!

I use mine all the time.. I have got to grips that well..

You don't have to flatten it quicker but if you put loads on u flatten first coat a lot quicker to get second on. It's not a case of usin it cos ur struggling with timings if anything your on top of it a lot faster.. Instead of towing your ******** off trying to catch up with yourself..!!!

I use mine all the time.. I have got to grips that well..

Cool thanks may have to get one, what size is best in your opinion 300 seams a bit small

ok thanks guys :)

i guess its only good for site work as its all flat? or if your lucky to get a fully flat ceiling on an old place.
as alot of ceilings i plaster have small bows in that a trowel can get over but using a speed skim if would need to be 2" thick on one end if that makes sense?

may get a smaller one to give it a go and see how i get on with it. and go from there :D

ok thanks guys :)

i guess its only good for site work as its all flat? or if your lucky to get a fully flat ceiling on an old place.
as alot of ceilings i plaster have small bows in that a trowel can get over but using a speed skim if would need to be 2" thick on one end if that makes sense?

may get a smaller one to give it a go and see how i get on with it. and go from there :D

I use mine on domestic properties all time mate.. Not the case at all..

Try the 600 to start with. The 1200 is a bit big on ceilings etc like u say if it is not flat but the 600 works ok.

Have to say though... Used my NELA s*p*r*lex for first time today.. Cracking bit of kit that is..!!

definetly don't put your usual set on before dropping back unless its on realy low suction...the way I work I leteraly put 5m2 or so and as im going on drop staraight over with speedskim then carry on till all my sets on apose to putting full amount on and then dropping back.

if you try and to use when its firmed up they don't work and you will need to use your trowel....ive kind of got into a system like when floating backing coats as in rule an area and move on etc...

by the end of your bucket you will have put all on with the benefit of already flattened behind you then knock up and same again with 2nd coat etc..

I do this then usualy 1 more pass with speedskim timings allowed then a wet/cross trowel with mt...job done!

I use mine also just domestic and it works great on ceilings, even if it does have a bow u will fine one way u shud be able to run it along still, obv if its wonky as its not gunna do it , i would recommend the 1200 thats what i use normally and i have the 600 which is still handy also

definetly don't put your usual set on before dropping back unless its on realy low suction...the way I work I leteraly put 5m2 or so and as im going on drop staraight over with speedskim then carry on till all my sets on apose to putting full amount on and then dropping back.

if you try and to use when its firmed up they don't work and you will need to use your trowel....ive kind of got into a system like when floating backing coats as in rule an area and move on etc...

by the end of your bucket you will have put all on with the benefit of already flattened behind you then knock up and same again with 2nd coat etc..

I do this then usualy 1 more pass with speedskim timings allowed then a wet/cross trowel with mt...job done!

Cool thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.