Spat Virgin

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Apprentice

Going to give a spat a go for the 1st time this week, never having used one before I would appreciate any helpful advice on how best to use them and when to use them. Thanks

Which one are you using, the are good for nice flat walls and ceilings , I use them after second coat has been speed skimmed and pulled in a bit,great for final trowel, saves the shoulders,

Not sure which type it is, just got the chance to try 1 out and I was wondering if you used them at the same stage as the trowel, the flattening will be done with a speedskim by the way.

Find out which type of spat your using. If its a s*p*r*lex you can trowel with them.

******* good luck with that one

20130906_164601_zps178a77ee.jpg

Only used the trowel to get it on, the rest was done with a supaflex. Guess im just lucky eh :rolleyes)

I got an eze on order now to see how it compares, I like the idea of replaceable blades instead of another 50 notes when I drop it

These we done with s*p*r*lex, so,easy to bend them though,
five forty metre ceilings, really easy job with spat and speedskim.my shoulder needs it easier, I do think its not as good as a trowel start to finish though

Last edited:
Regardless of the quality of the work in that picture. A distant photo of a skimmed room proves **** all apart from there is plaster on the wall

Last edited:
Regardless of the quality of the work in that picture. A distant photo of a skimmed room proves **** all apart from there is plaster on the wall
True, fresh plaster always looks good if its flat at all, I find that the spats dig a bit and create hollows.

These we done with s*p*r*lex, so,easy to bend them though,
five forty metre ceilings, really easy job with spat and speedskim.my shoulder needs it easier, I do think its not as good as a trowel start to finish though

If that's the case John then why did you not stop using them after the first ceiling? Ease over quality?

If that's the case John then why did you not stop using them after the first ceiling? Ease over quality?
The are good for nice flat areas not so good for refurb works, I use them less and less now especially now that we are on quality jobs .

Is it just me then or when you use them they put loads of tigers in them? Nice work gaz always impressive looking at a wall someone's skimmed :RpS_thumbsup:

Is it just me then or when you use them they put loads of tigers in them? Nice work gaz always impressive looking at a wall someone's skimmed :RpS_thumbsup:
Agreed about the tiger stripes especially with multi, we have changed to board finish and use the Ss and spat less and less

I've only used it once years ago John, I keep asking our boss to try it but he never bothers multi seems to have gone greasy lately

Much prefer board finish, it's just hard to get around here. One supplier charges 7.80 a bag shocking

I've only used it once years ago John, I keep asking our boss to try it but he never bothers multi seems to have gone greasy lately
It seems to have changed I thought that as well, funny with the board finish I always found it saved half an hour a set but on this job we are doing its not that fast but its finishing nicer

If you use a lot oilican try ringing travisseeyoucomingpullyourepantsdown in Bristol I'm sure the list price is cheaper than multi

Is it just me then or when you use them they put loads of tigers in them? :RpS_thumbsup:

I think the tigers are caused by not keeping the blades clean... so the plaster builds up on the edge and then causes the stripes :)

I just scrape it off and keep going :)

Status
Not open for further replies.