South Wales render job near Cardiff

OwenG

hi guys

I've be directed here from the ultimate handyman.co.uk forum

I'm having a nightmare finding a plaster to render my house, I've had 2 quotes, first plasterer who does a type of silicone render, but his communication is shocking and I've had enough now.

and another traditional render but he told me he uses building sand to render ( which all I read about is the one thing you shouldn't do?)

Pulling my hair out trying to find a competent tradesman who can communicate well who is open about how he will do the job and what materials he uses, and is happy for me to go and have a look and a few jobs that have been done

I've attached a few photos and measurements total size is 140m2, scaffolding is in place but bit above extension isn't factured in and is about 2m2 which could be done from a roofing ladder if possible.

It is on the side of a mountain and next to a wooded area so not sure if silicone renders would work? Maybe someone could advice?

Also if anyone is interested is the correct procedure to inbox me on here?

I'm about 35 minutes north east of Cardiff towards the valley's (don't judge lol)

Attachments

• IMG_5215.JPG
    IMG_5215.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 367
  • IMG_5216.JPG
    IMG_5216.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 343
  • IMG_5217.JPG
    IMG_5217.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 335
  • IMG_5218.JPG
    IMG_5218.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 361
Ok tidy, can I give you a bell? Not sure if you could give me a rough idea over the phone on the cost, I understand that it won't be exact due to not seeing the job in person, but it could start the ball rolling

What do you mean start the ball rolling?

Haven't you ever heard that term before? If say 3 people said they are interested and one priced at 1 million pound and another a hundred pound then I wouldn't really start the ball rolling for organising this job with these two.

Haven't you ever heard that term before? If say 3 people said they are interested and one priced at 1 million pound and another a hundred pound then I wouldn't really start the ball rolling for organising this job with these two.
I'm aware of the term :) just don't get why him giving you a price that means nothing over the phone gets the ball rolling, unless what you mean give me a ballpark figure and I can start negotiating a better deal for myself? Take your example for instance why wouldn't you be interested in these two? Just to add whoever mentioned you shouldn't use sand and cement I also wouldn't use or take any notice of them :)

Because as little as I know about plastering it's obvious that a million pound and a hundred pound wouldn't be correct would it?!

I work in engineering and have to price up jobs all the time, it's not too difficult to do a rough price with decent information, which to be honest I think I have provided. But after reading around on here any price talk seems taboo for some reason, I don't know why I'm not in the trade.

Why shouldn't intake notice of people who say don't use building sand for external render, I don't know what is right or wrong tbh I can only go on information online and all guides say use a washed sand not building sand

Sorry i read it as sand and cement, prices aren't discussed Coz there are to many variations, get @PFTwales round there is no point getting a quote over the phone because it will only go up on inspection but never down :)