Sound proofng - how to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksjs

Had a brief look on here / internet and sounds like resilient bar and acoustic board is the way to go. Just a few questions:

- Is the board fixed / stable? Reason I ask is that the fixing instructions seem to apply that there might be some movement / flex, if so how can you skim properly?

- My situation is internal stud wall with insulation between battens. The wall is boarded and skimmed both sides. I want to add resilient bar to one side and then 1 or 2 layers of acoustic board (is 2 layers really necessary, it's not a big sound problem, just voices carrying very easily through the currently) on top. Is it possible to fix the resilient bar through the existing plasterboard into battens underneath and still achieve soundproofing gains?

Thanks.

Also, is cheap and cheerful worth doing i.e. just add (fix with screws) an additional layer of standard board or an additional layer of acoustic board?

What I've done before is resiliant bar every 400 plank board 50 mil srew . Acoustic sealant around gaps and perimeter then 12.5 wall board 75 mil screw. Hope that helps pal its worked for me.

Cheers for reply. Thing is I don't think I need to go to town on this - it's my house and the noise isn't a major problem so I guess I'd prefer cheap and cheerful if possible i.e. double board using acoustic board. Anyone know if this is a waste of time or will it actually have some sound reducing effect?

Thanks

Cheers for reply. Thing is I don't think I need to go to town on this - it's my house and the noise isn't a major problem so I guess I'd prefer cheap and cheerful if possible i.e. double board using acoustic board. Anyone know if this is a waste of time or will it actually have some sound reducing effect?

Thanks

Then fix one layer of sounbloc and see what the effect is, if not enough then try another

Status
Not open for further replies.