Sound proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.

User________removed

Private Member
Got a job to look at later to sound proof a wall, was going to batten the wall out standing off slightly, fill stud work with sound proofing insulation, and board with acoustic, then skim.

Any suggestions or other ways to do this ? Would i be as well to double board it or is that over kill. Shes not bothered about losing a few inches of the room.

AB

i've only ever done this on on project, brick/pot walls were knocked down between flats and then 2 metal stud walls erected 60mm (i think) apart. 50mm strips of acoustic board stuck onto the walls with acoustic sealant (just seemed like decorators caulk) with the upright sections drilled and fixed into the brickwork, some some reason it only had 25mm insulation put in? was double boarded both sides all the way up into the loft space as it was also a firebreak, horizontal joins in the boards were covered after the first layer of boards with a metal strip, 40kg a board, great fun.

tho i guess your probably going up against a brick wall so none of thats really too relevant.

if its back to the brickwork you could give it a thick coat of soundcoat but dont rule it just put on then leave scratch up then dab a couple of layers of soundblock board then skim

Building the stud in front and using acoustic roll then 2 skins of soundbloc will give the best results

I do alot of soundproofing work always double board when soundproofing even if you are building an independant wall but other methods to use are the m20ad panels (compacted rubber) which are very good better than an independant wall or even better if you incoporate it into your wall there is also phonewell boards you can use which are filled with sand but these are very expensive especially the m20ad panels but well worth the extra money. And by the way the term soundproofing is very misleading its almost impossible to do in domestic jobs with flanking noise so refer to it as sound reducing.

Cheers guys, Looked into the resilient bars Spunk, was just concerned that they would bump the price up to much.

Going to stud the wall out slightly forward of the wall to avoid any transfere, lag and cross ply 2 skins of acoustic + skim. Looked at it this morning and straight forward enough.
Explained that it wouldn't kill all the sound but dull it which shes happy with, also wasn't to concerned about money, so the quote will be in tomorrow.

AB

Cheers guys, Looked into the resilient bars Spunk, was just concerned that they would bump the price up to much.

Going to stud the wall out slightly forward of the wall to avoid any transfere, lag and cross ply 2 skins of acoustic + skim. Looked at it this morning and straight forward enough.
Explained that it wouldn't kill all the sound but dull it which shes happy with, also wasn't to concerned about money, so the quote will be in tomorrow.

AB

youll be surprised mate, it works really well... on that surface..
problems arise when its getting through transfer from floor joists etc... if you do the whole room to spec youre laffing but if not and theres any shared joists etc you will only dull it... bass will still be a problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.