Somewhere to start

SamGosto

Hi all, I'm new to the site and am 24 years old. I'm looking at doing 6 week intensive city and guilds course next month, I'm from West Sussex and am just seeing if anyone would have me work by their side to learn the ropes? Thanks

Hi all, I'm new to the site and am 24 years old. I'm looking at doing 6 week intensive city and guilds course next month, I'm from West Sussex and am just seeing if anyone would have me work by their side to learn the ropes? Thanks

Where in West Sussex are you mate??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom! I too am in Chichester, looking to build on my few weeks C&G course. If anyone (SamGosto included) can help me gain some experience I'd be chuffed! I have a big estate car and am willing to travel!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

well while you 2 are waiting for some work to come in why don't you practice at home.
put a couple of bags of cement in a hod and keep running up and down stairs with the hod on your shoulder for 8 hours a day . you will then be able to make up your minds if this job is for you !

I've got a my whole house to do, so I will take up your advice Malc - but not willingly... I can't figure out any other way of getting the gear upstairs.

Thanks for that tip.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

to make the hod practice seem more realistic get one of your pals to keep shouting abuse at you and poking you with a stick as you are running up the stairs.

I've never seen a hod in use! Before my time, I believe a good hod carrier could earn decent money years ago?

I've never seen a hod in use! Before my time, I believe a good hod carrier could earn decent money years ago?

google, Max Quarterman super hod .

the wooden hods would take in water and got more heavy as the day went on. some strong chaps would have extension on the hod to be able to carry more. then came the lightweight alloy hods that were superseded by the plastic ones.

a labourer we use on sand and cement render still hods up.
it was sole destroying when we had them hodding up screed on the 3 rd floor flats. above 3 floors the builder would supply a hoist.

well while you 2 are waiting for some work to come in why don't you practice at home.
put a couple of bags of cement in a hod and keep running up and down stairs with the hod on your shoulder for 8 hours a day . you will then be able to make up your minds if this job is for you !
My shoulder still has the dent the muck-hod gave me more than twenty years ago......but it was like aright of passage or a badge of honour......

the wooden hods would take in water and got more heavy as the day went on. some strong chaps would have extension on the hod to be able to carry more. then came the lightweight alloy hods that were superseded by the plastic ones.

it was sole destroying when we had them hodding up screed on the 3 rd floor flats. above 3 floors the builder would supply a hoist.

sounds like hell... but I think others have mentioned it was good money

sounds like hell... but I think others have mentioned it was good money

it would be one of the only chance a labourer had to earn a decent wage.
it was a class thing. the plasterer and apprentice were gentlemen they would have their lunch in the office with the site foreman and other craftsmen. discussing the drawings of the works.
labourers would have their own shed to have their lunch in and would be trying to shag each other, according to the craftsmen.

First time on the hod was a floor screed on second floor flats near earls cone,
Was 17 and the guy on the mixer would load them up as much as he could
Every time I got to the top it was "your taking your time"

to make the hod practice seem more realistic get one of your pals to keep shouting abuse at you and poking you with a stick as you are running up the stairs.
And then make you wait week for your wages !and it will be short.

And then make you wait week for your wages !and it will be short.

they would tell the labourers that it would be so much per day, at the end of the week tell them that we never covered enough and give them about half pay.
if the plasterer was short of money mid week tell them that they had not been stopped enough tax and take another £10 off them.
muck dunkies they called them, as soon as you are finished throw them away.