something not right

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1988

Was planning on a nice easy week. We have just finished second room today bit of bonding and skimming. Both rooms have been a struggle. Each hit starts well couple of coats on and rubbing up quite the thing and then the plaster starts going weird! It starts to patch up as if drying but seems greasy to touch. It tears in places and we are unable to get a decent shine on it. I am sure it will paint up OK just doesn't really look as good as usual. Anyone know what it might be? It has happened to me a couple of times before

Try a plastic trowel earlier than you usually would mark I've been having similar problems

Had a similar thing today. It started browning up in places before it should have really. But it was not gone off. It was multi with the little try our new tested uni finish badge on.

OK I will try plastic trowel earlier. Hate it when walls and ceilings aren't gleaming in case punters start picking even though I know it will paint fine

I picked some of that up yesterday,seemed ok only done one room today with it though over tough coat and sound paint.

Probably just a Scottish thing have you tried adding a can of iron-bru .................girderrrrrs!!:RpS_w00t:

Had a similar thing today. It started browning up in places before it should have really. But it was not gone off. It was multi with the little try our new tested uni finish badge on.

Had the same with the same bags
Not sure what's going on

Bought the same stuff for today as I only had a bathroom to do. And it sat wet for ages. I think they're tampering with it again at bg

My mate down the pub told me last week that his mate that works for Knauf sneaked into BG at Loughborough and twisted the admixture lever by half a twist as a practical joke

I have been using bg skim this week here in ireland. It is pure sh1t. Getting them tiger mark's in it. I even got them skimming over s&c.

I've had this happen before, noticed that it goes all sticky and when you try pull it apart it's like chewing gum on your fingers. Also noticed the waste plaster seems to be red hot when loading into van at end of day so it must be down to some sort of chemical reaction going wrong.

I have been using bg skim this week here in ireland. It is pure sh1t. Getting them tiger mark's in it. I even got them skimming over s&c.

hi guys
i am glad i have just come across this post,i have been plastering for over 30yrs.i go to one job a school i finish 4 week later,and the painter comes up to me and compliments me on my finish.
i thank him and move on to the next job.

we get to the next job a refurb/dabbed throughout and studwork.
temperature was low,and i asked the contractor to bring in some heaters,he did but they were freaking useless,lighting was poor quality to.after a lengthy discussion with him i carried out my work, heating was resolved.

my son & i was setting 2 rooms and we started the first flatten,that the trowel was leaving "as described tiger marks" i have never in 30yrs seen this in my work.
i have tried to investigate and try different methods throughout the job,but to no avail.

has anyone contacted BG about this problem,i had spoken to another plasterer last week and he told me that there was clay found in the plaster? not sure how true this is!

regards

Davy

We did a house a few weeks back where upstairs was skimmed with BG and then downstairs skimmed with ultra finish. World of difference, the BG was dirt and left tiger strips were as the ultra finish looked great! Only difference was the skim!

hi guys
i am glad i have just come across this post,i have been plastering for over 30yrs.i go to one job a school i finish 4 week later,and the painter comes up to me and compliments me on my finish.
i thank him and move on to the next job.

we get to the next job a refurb/dabbed throughout and studwork.
temperature was low,and i asked the contractor to bring in some heaters,he did but they were freaking useless,lighting was poor quality to.after a lengthy discussion with him i carried out my work, heating was resolved.

my son & i was setting 2 rooms and we started the first flatten,that the trowel was leaving "as described tiger marks" i have never in 30yrs seen this in my work.
i have tried to investigate and try different methods throughout the job,but to no avail.

has anyone contacted BG about this problem,i had spoken to another plasterer last week and he told me that there was clay found in the plaster? not sure how true this is!

regards

Davy

Agree 100%. Did a small but awkward 20m hit over fairly shiny Matt emulsion using PVA. Been plastering 30 yrs and the finish looked sh1t, wouldn't close in properly. It was multi from the bags advertising unifinish in this case. I've noticed multi quality really getting worse over last few yrs. No problem with Knauf finish though. If you can find a place stocking it lol

BG are always pissing about with the accelerant/retardant in the skim which fucks the timing up. It does finish in the end but take a few extra trowels. Looks **** but paint ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.