Some idiots in the game

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky4

Hi they folks,just measured up and give a price on a job of a house.Its 72m2 top to bottom and ive priced it £500 includes £50 for materials.Give the client a quote and waiting for a reply.I was told that two other plasterers came round and made a quote but i could'nt find out,but wait there hear this,one room(approx 20m2)has quite hard wallpaper and the client said it would'nt come off.I said there's a few solutions i know of that will get it off.Their said their tried everything to get it off.Then the client told me that these other micky mouse soo called plasterers told them that their would just skim straight over the wallpaper and its be good as new.Well i just burst out laughing and thinking who the hell are these tos pots!!Anyway i told her id me and me mate would sort it out and left her my price.Have you heard of anything like that??Where the hell are these peoples minds at!!!Thought id share that with you's,made my day hearing idiots like that,peace!!

plastered over woodchip last week for the same builder who id done it b4 if u cant get wallpaper off with a steamer it wont come off with plaster,

Worked in what is now Tony Blairs house in Connaaught sq, Marble Arch about 15 yrs ago and builder made me skim a 35m2 ceiling over baked on lining paper. Pva'd n skimmed it and apparently it's still up there. Well Tony Blair wouldn't lie about it would he ?

skimmed a few woodchip ceilings with no problems. not saying it's right but need must sometimes,

Skimming over wall paper is just wrong and anyone who does so is a F*****g disgrace .:RpS_cursing:. Any good plasterer knows that you have to dab boards on first .:RpS_thumbsup:

skimmed onto woodchip last year not had any problems yet in fact i saw the guy 2 days ago and asked him how it all finished in the end and he said the plasters still up there and not a crack in sight:RpS_thumbup:
needs must and all that

can i just ask the woodchip skimmers what was going through your head before you did it? cos like if someone said to me that it wont come off so can you skim over i say NO!!! and get them to get it off or board it

i did it because i was on a day rate for a firm who back them diddnt give a shite about quality and they refused to take it off or pay me to take it off or get any materials to board over the top so i was left with the option of just skim it and get paid

i like to have it off too

jase what would have happened if iot fell off later on? would they have made you go back and sort it out for nowt? bet they would

did you use pva or blue grit or something?

I think there is another thread on here about industry standards or something silly like that .:rolleyes)

no if it came off id get paid to do it again it was thier choice to do it that way

skimmed 2 small ceilings 2 years ago,odd patch of wallpaper still on try as i might it would not come off,pva 2 coats the day before then skimmed everything okay no problems,but not something at all i would reccomend at all at all

LOL @ all the righteous spreads, I bet you leave a trail of destruction in your wake really.

If the steamer aint touching it then plaster wont bring it down. OK how about if it was stuck real well and glossed and impermiable by water, would a blue grit and skim be OK?

well all i can say is i advise the customer as to what is the best solution to there problem.if they dcide they want a perticular thing,as in skim over woodchip who am i to argue,i'm not paying for it,and i cant garantee it either.

as for unproffesional....wonder how many on here skim over 30year old walls that are as dry as a nuns #unt instead of advising that the plaster needs taking back to the brick as imho a 2-3mm of skim of brittle finish plaster is only as good as what it lays on.:flapper:

skimmed onto woodchip last year not had any problems yet in fact i saw the guy 2 days ago and asked him how it all finished in the end and he said the plasters still up there and not a crack in sight:RpS_thumbup:
needs must and all that

So anyone with recurring cracks, just woodchip and skim, job's a good 'un :RpS_thumbsup:

oh should of said that the problem,for the client,was that the feckin paper wouldn't come off,was like concrete...Oooook:RpS_drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.