soft plaster

Members online

tenor.gif

hi to everybody,

i was hoping to obtain some information from you guys as i have very little experience with plastering in any of its forms,
i have just had an issue with two walls ,these were boarded out with thermal plasterboard and then plastered however the finished surface is easily damaged, to the extent you can damage it without much effort with your finger nail the finished surface does not seem to be very durable compared with the other walls in the room that are block work with solid plastering, this to the touch in comparison is very hard ,is it normal for the finish on plasterboard to be so soft/easily damaged and what would have been the type of plaster that was used, any information regarding this would be really appreciated .

thanks and regards
Plasticine?

Skim sets hard as a rock after three hours approximately.As was said earlier could have been sponged way too late resulting in a layer of flaky fat on the surface.Pictures would help.

Skim sets hard as a rock after three hours approximately.As was said earlier could have been sponged way too late resulting in a layer of flaky fat on the surface.Pictures would help.
hi Nicm thanks for the response
it wasnt sponged late and its been painted with a mist coat after it had dried out the damage occured after around a week the surface of the finished skim was polished and has remained smooth like a pane of glass the quality of the work looks good its just the hardness of the finish that is questionable and your the second that has stated skim sets hard so im stumped as to what type of plaster has been used it was pink in colour when it went on the wall so i assumed it was finish coat as opposed to a compound or easy fill as has been implied,
thanks again for your response

hi Nicm thanks for the response
it wasnt sponged late and its been painted with a mist coat after it had dried out the damage occured after around a week the surface of the finished skim was polished and has remained smooth like a pane of glass the quality of the work looks good its just the hardness of the finish that is questionable and your the second that has stated skim sets hard so im stumped as to what type of plaster has been used it was pink in colour when it went on the wall so i assumed it was finish coat as opposed to a compound or easy fill as has been implied,
thanks again for your response

Is the entire surface soft, or just in certain small areas?

hi makeitsmooth
the surface itself is firm to the touch provided you dont hit it with force it is plasterboard dot and dabbed to the wall, however as mentioned the slightest press with a fingernail or edge of an object will leave a substantial mark in it however this is not right down to the plasterboard , this does not happen on the other original walls in the property ,i watched them do the walls and saw what was going on the wall was red/pink in colour so assumed it was finish plaster, guessing it may not have been

thanks again for response

Does the plasterboard feel bonded to the wall there's no movement or give in any of the wall in question

hi stewie
no its a solid bond to the wall anything dead was taken off prior to the board going on and the adhesive used was something else a piece of board had to come of a reveal and that was difficult enough to get of , not sure what the adhesive was called but it was good,
thanks for the response

the surface itself is firm to the touch provided you dont hit it with force it is plasterboard dot and dabbed to the wall, however as mentioned the slightest press with a fingernail or edge of an object will leave a substantial mark in it however this is not right down to the plasterboard

OK, understood, but does the vulnerability of the surface exist all over it, or just in small/isolated areas?

This might be relevant in terms of figuring out if it was an error in application or a material issue.

Since you have stated that the plastering was done on new dot & dabbed plaster board, we can (largely) assume that this provided a sound and fault-free substrate onto which the plaster was applied, so this would appear to point the finger at the plaster layer itself.

hi makeitsmooth

yes it would be safe to assume the vulnerability of the plaster is consistent across the board i assumed that whatever has gone on the wall is not what i thought would constitute as a finished surface do to its lack of strength compared to the other original walls in the property, from the information gleamed from you guys finished skim sets rock hard regardless of the surface its put on to ,

it was assumed that there was a problem with expansion and shrinkage with the walls in question hence the thermal boards would the possible expansion and shrinkage account for the type of plaster that is on the wall ie that this finish would be less prone to cracking caused by expansion/shrinkage
thanks again for the response

It hasn’t been skimmed with multi or board finish then. One of the ‘lockdown’ plasters!
h ichrispy
im not sure what it has been skimmed with hence asking you guys i was given the impression it was going to be a finish plaster however the finish to me as a lamen is not ideal the workmanship is good but the strength ogf the material used im not so sure of, due to the possible expansion and shrinkage im wondering if it may be an appropriate skim/finish you guys would maybe no more