Sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basher

Hi guys on new work how do you like the tails from the wires as i allways like the tails sticking out so it makes the boxes easier to clean out with a knife but i was helping a spread out yesterday and a sparky left the tails out and he purposely fill all the boxes up so only the wires was showing which i thought was strange but what do you guys like???

Wires out :mad: boxes don't get cleaned
Wires in :) Boxes cleaned out

This has always been site practice as far as I'm aware (like an unwritten rule).

same as andy, we will clean the boxes if the wires re in, if there out we tuck them in which amounts to the time we would have spent cleaning them. you cant rule a wall any sense with wires hanging out of boxes

:D
Basher said:
Hi guys on new work how do you like the tails from the wires as i allways like the tails sticking out so it makes the boxes easier to clean out with a knife but i was helping a spread out yesterday and a sparky left the tails out and he purposely fill all the boxes up so only the wires was showing which i thought was strange but what do you guys like???
:D :D As above, and use a small pointing trowel to clean them out, this won't cut the cable's being a blunt edge.

if there to long then the snips come out. we got one sparky who dont tuck his wires in but also chases the boxes fluch with the block. he compalined to the builder about us not cleaning the boxes out and tryed to make a claim against us. i had some strong words with the builder about it and told him we wont plaster any walls until the boxes have been adjusted. its also a pain if we dab the walls because you have to measure and cut every box. We will see what happens on his next job

i'm with andy, on site we say to the sparky, cut them down and put them in and we'll clean them out and pull them out, otherwise we cut them and fill it. they never did it in the first few flats until i cut them 4inches long and you couldnt tell where the boxes were. its in the bible that sparkys are knobheads. its in their blood

love it sparks are knobs if they leave long tails cut em short fill boxes they soon learn then we dont mind cleanin boxes out

Yeah its definatley the unwritten rule but i was working on one site and the sparks put fibre glass in the boxes so all you had to do was float straight over the top and push your finger in where the box was and it all came out nice and clean happy days ;)

my old man used to cut cardboard and they would clip in behind the screw lugs in the box, we just used to render and skim away and because you had a very thin coat over the cardboard you could see the boxs no problem and just break them out. I keep meaning to start doing it again.

This'll make u laugh..
my mother inlaw just had conservatory built they did all work but plastering it tiling ,pa\inting ,running electrics through which i did,my mate (an electrician) is just gonna connect to consumer unit.
I run the wires through attach boxes and dab walls.
Next day go's in to skim it and without thinking fill the boxess with gear only to spend 1 hr clening them out when i come to painting and fitting socket covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.