so how did you all become plasterers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rated_2000

how u get a start in it, what route did u take and y did u wanna get into it, how did it happen

i'll started off doing a two week full time course and then got taken on as a labourer/improver with a pro which i plan to do for a good while b4 breaking out on my own :cool:

and making the money money yeah yeah ;D

a went to college n got a level 2 in weldin got a job doin it n hated it a tried to get a modern apprentiship as a gas fitter didnt get it didnt think a would wanna be a sparky or a joiner n thought wat else is left the thing is av never like any work av done then a learned to plaster n loved it n thuoght why didnt a do this years ago :(

a went to college n got a level 2 in weldin got a job doin it n hated it a tried to get a modern  apprentiship as a gas fitter didnt get it didnt think a would  wanna be a sparky or a joiner n thought wat else is left the thing is av never like any work av done then a learned to plaster n loved it n thuoght why didnt a do this years ago  :(

how u get started in it

a went to the jobcentre n asked if there was any courses n did a 6month couse learning the basics then did me own room n a couple of jobs for people i know then got took on by a local spread

u know wot? youre either cut out for the building game or you aint...simple as.
i left school and went to british bleedin aerospace AND won training awards and wotnot...then went welding just as the money went from fabricating to production (shite innit scott)..then went window fitting...
my dads a builder btw so i been messin about with muck and rubble since i was a kid...
then got into the building game via windows....
it just seems to run in my genes.. ;D (specially after 6 stellas and a curry)
wouldnt actually mind doin the corgi bit though..plumbing is reasonably easy, theyre payin 240 a day (british gas) servicing boilers (ticketing for housing associations piece of p'ss), van, diesel card AND BLEEDIN TOOLS supplied... no kidding..

the apprenticship a was gonna do was 250 aweek for training which isnt bad n the welding side of things a was working in a factory n it was like a black hole a fookin hated it

didn't try too hard at school, left not knowing what i wanted to do, had various crap jobs... "toys r us, asda, morrisons, sainsburys (who i still work with part time...quarunteed money i guess) did a body vehicle repair course but left due to crap pay, even did an ICA computer course but the thought of having to mess about and fix broken PC's drives me insane, stupid things!" tried to get into plumbing but nobody is interested in taking on trainees, friend suggested plastering, so i thought about it alot, bought one of those crappy how to dvd's off ebay and cheap hawk and trowel and had a go! i got the stuff everywhere, but that didnt matter because it was somoene elses cellar and nobody else ever dared to go down there ;D so the idea of being my own boss and doing my own thing got me motivated to do alot of research and enroll onto a 2 year college course (FCA and ICA in plastering) absoloutly love it! maybe its the chicken and stuffing sarnies and boost chocolate bar i have each break time, or maybe its the dinner time pint? who knows! probably being able to make a mess and learn at the same time, who cares, i love it :cool:

seems weird really as i convinced myself at one point that i wanted to fix cars and motorbikes, ina way i still want to in my spare time, nothing like fixing something and hearing it run again :cool: then again making a wall nice and flat is jsut as fun :-? :)

im a decorator by trade and it pays the mortgage, but lost intrest in it and need to do somthing new, so i threw a bit on down my nans shed and loved it, and i still do a bit of decorating.

also im addicted to buy trowels, my miss's kicks right off if ive bought a new one ;D

I have never done anything else different my old man was a spread, he took me on when i was 15. I didnt take any exams at school as i left a year early and started as a spread, I do sometimes wonder what i would have done if i never became a plasterer. I know one thing i will not be encouraging my little un to become a spread.

hey segs, if you worked for british gas you'd have to talk about service boilers on there forum ;D
also great satisfaction from plastering :D

satisfaction from any job if youre lucky enough to find yourself in a position where you can work to the best of your ability and get paid for it!
there aint many jobs can say that..specially bein employed by someone else..
that is actually quite deep if you think about it... ;D

a think its 1 of them jobs were you wanna do the best job you can cos you can sit back when its finished n be proud of your self best feelin in the world ;D

a think its 1 of them jobs were you wanna do the best job you can cos you can sit back when its finished n be proud of your self best feelin in the world ;D

well ive got a genuine interest in diy which helps, and the idea of working for myslef is the dream, i hate being employed and putting up with all the shite of being in a company and bound by a contract the freedom really appealed to me

what happens if your not pullin your weight youd have to look in the mirror n say am sorry but am gonna have to let you go ;D ;D

what happens if your not pullin your weight youd have to look in the mirror n say am sorry but am gonna have to let you go ;D ;D

i can fire myself and then sue myself for unfair dismissal and then rehire myself the next day on more money ;D

i had more freedom when i worked for some1 else, if its freedom you want dont work for yourself. how about every one else

i find it harder gettin a bollockin from meself than gettin a bollockin of the gaffer!!
the beauty of workin for yerself....
none of this wake up in the mornin 'cant be arsed'...youve even gotta paint a grin on even though you dont feel like it cos youre the gaffer...
sometimes i wish i WAS employed...believe me...

when you work for some1 else theyve got to get the work theyve got all the responsability n the comebacks so your probably better off workin for some1 else

i had more freedom when i worked for some1 else, if its freedom you want dont work for yourself. how about every one else
course i got more freedom??
i just gotta organise myself some freedom and hey presto....a day off..
but tell the customer youre gonna be there on friday and by god you better be there...
what exactly is 'freedom'...
weve all gotta go to work...

when you work for some1 else theyve got to get the work theyve got all the responsability n the comebacks so your probably better off workin for some1 else

yeah but if they lined up work and u cant be assed they get peeved if u jack it off, where if your booking ya own work u can place a nice few days off here and there to suit yaself  :)

my problem is i cant say no. think i work to much  :(

most people i know that r self employed take the work while its pouring in even when they got enough and overload, cause they think while it there u gotta take it before the wind changes :-/

then there wife leaves them for being a workaholic ;D

why not bod

I would rather he got a better education and get a decent job, if he turns out to be a bit thick then maybe i will take him on ;D but i was never encouraged to anything i was pretty much left to my own devices, im not resentful for the fact my old man got me to be a spread i am grateful but no one took an interest in what i actually wanted to do as i have got older i think there was a lot of other options i could have took just cant get motivated to do anything else now been doing it too long plus i have mortgage kids and a wife i dont think i could afford to start at the bottom again with a lower rate of pay i would never survive.

thats the 1 no wonder he sweats his arse off its hard work doin a sketch like that ad be foookin knackered its funny as hell tho

Status
Not open for further replies.