smoke damaged walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

ace

Hi guys,
just joined the site in hope of a bit of advice.

Starting a job next week that had a fire.My question is this.

What to do with the walls prior to skimming as they have smoke stains on them.The area of the property where the fire was i have removed the plaster complety as the heat had damaged them and they had all cracked up so i removed the plaster and going to dot and dab them and them skim.But the rest of the property just has smoke damage,i think if i just reskim them i might have issues with adesion and stains bleeding through.does anyone know of any stabilizers that i could use prior to plastering.I was thinking of using zinsser bin but not sure if i can skim on that?Any help would be great as it seems abit of of a black horse on the net.

Thanks guys,ive allready done the sugar soap but it just seems to move the soot around,Has anyone ever used chemical dry sponges?Never heard of blue porridge whats that?Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks guys,ive allready done the sugar soap but it just seems to move the soot around,Has anyone ever used chemical dry sponges?Never heard of blue porridge whats that?Thanks for the help guys.

As for the soot moving around just remember the words of Mr Miagi wipe on, wipe off. ie divint use the same cloth or rag for soaking and loosening then expect it to take the soot off use a clean rag to wipe off :RpS_thumbup:

Blue porridge is what we call blue grit or any of the other varietys out there

oh ok,i know what you mean now,yeah will try sugar soap again,as it was not me who done the washing down it was the owner of the property,chances are they didnt put the effort in.thanks alot for the help gaz.:)

:RpS_confused: Are they not using a professional cleaning co?
Insurance will be paying - won't they?

Hi bubble, No mate its going through insurance (long story).Started cleaning myself ,not as bad as first expected ,coming of with sugar soap and a little elbow grease,just going to finish off with a chemical sponge to totally clean.Happy days!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.