small spider cracks on first skim coat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiesm2001

hi all

Im doing some skim coats on a family members wall. on one wall a big patch has been filled with a bonding coat and the rest is painted. I pva'd the wall twice, then applied the first skim coat.

the plaster over the bonded area started developing fine spider web cracking in places, i'm guessing due to drying too quickly. it was completely dry by the time I finished the wall so I've just left the first coat on over night thinking that I could may be re start the process tomorrow. when I left the wall was dry and there were patches where there were fine cracks, only visible if you get really close.

my question is can I just skim two coats over this, or should I try and knock off the plaster and start again.

any help will be appreciated, thanks

They sound like shrinkage cracks to me and to go over what you've done I'd PVA day before then again the day your going to plaster :RpS_thumbup: so long as the coat you have applied is sound and not shelling off or loose etc

Basically you have not controlled the suction sufficiently. Ensure you mix the PVA as per instructions on the tub and two coats is not always enough to control the suction. Basically keep applying coats of pva until the part of the wall you started at is just about as wet as the last bit you applied then wait until it is tacky before you apply plaster. What you need to do now is check and see what you have already done has bonded to the wall correctly and if you feel it has proceed as i suggest and re-skim. However if the initial coat you have applied has not bonded correctly remove the no good area (all of it if you feel it needs to) then, proceed as i first suggest.

Status
Not open for further replies.