Small room big problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to get a bit of beer money in during the hols - I've found myself a nightmare.

7ftx8ft room.

3 x walls S&C patches missing back to brick and skim coat missing in patches up to around 4ft - the rest sounds blown, tried cutting patches back and the whole lot crumbles.
1 x wall lath & plaster - spongy and missing patches.
Ceiling is Lath & plaster with artex , artex down to the picture rail on all walls.

The lot is covered with distemper, dry gule and matt emulsion.

I had hoped to patch the s&c, replace the l&p to 5ft with board and reskim the walls. Any point in trying to patch it or should I knock it off to 5ft, hardwall it and save messing about. Any problems skimming over the distemper ? Id have cleaned it off but there must be years of paint on top of it.

I'd have priced it to pull it all of and start again which is what it really needs by the sound of it, as for the distemper that stuff is what nightmares are made of, i did a job about a year ago and that had distemper on the ceiling (i only discovered that when i started skimming it) i managed to get the worst of it off by soaking it an scraping it back but that makes a hell of a mess, on another little ceiling on the same job also had distemper and i didn't want to scrape it as they was keeping the carpet so i didn't want to risk getting it all over it so i used stabilising solution on the ceiling and i used it on the 1 that i scraped then the following day unibonded it and skimmed it, it took longer to go off but i just left it til it was ready and have never had any comebacks on it

yeah like southernmonkey said rip all down and start again...... thats if the customer is willing to pay

ta both.

I've not price it yet - I warned him about the distemper causing problems. Time seems to be the main issue, pulling the lot down is going to make it a really tight job. Going to have to work like a bluearse fly - and get covered in crap from pulling the l&p / s&c down.

Will see how far I can pry the blokes wallet open, having to get covered in crap takes it well out of beer money.

Left the ceiling as it was sound and he didn't want to spend the cash. Cut all the walls back to brick - hardwalled 3 coats - all keyed. Let it sit overnight. PVA it cos it was sucking like bitch. 2 coats of skim nice and flat. Gave it a little polish round the light switch to make it silky for the "feel that" factor.

Went back today to skim the final wall, noticed a few patches that look terrible - best described as the same texture as a fat birds thighs !! They're not misses just looks like its dried like orange peel.

I dont think the chap noticed (he aint said nothing) I slapped a bit of filler over them but Id not normally leave a wall like that and don't want to again.

Its the first time I've seen it, its also the first time I've used B&Q own brand PVA.

do you think it bubbled mate? it deffinately wont be the pva (bandq stuff is shite though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.