Skimming!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jcowap

Hello everyone.

My knowledge of plastering is limited however , it is something I am very itnerested in. I need quite a lot of plastering work doing on my house - I say plasyering work, it's mostly just re-skimming. On my stairs and landing walls I have artex which is quite thick in some places. Some of it will need to be knocked off. Just 2 questions. Would this need to be tested for asbestos? If so how is this done and if it does contain asbestos what do i do then? Also with the artex being thick, Would I first of all use is it a bonding coat? I saw a guy on youtube skim over artex and he put a first coat on of something else that I think was grey in colour. Is this called a bonding coat? I dont want to use multi finish with the artex beiNG so thick.

Apologies for my lack of knowledge. Be prepared for a re-post asking for someone to come and finish it ha.

J

So I shouldn't even give it a go? Lol I have skimmed before to a good finish but the artex is tricky!

I have seen first coat and finish for first coat an then he brushed it in an fresh finish after it had gone in. But I'm not sure never fancied it tbh. Anyone else do it??

I once mixed multi and browning for a patch up, troweled up nice as the multi came to the surface. Wouldn't do it on any areas though (plus it went off quick which was good).

Ideally you skim in the afternoon what you bond in the morning. If next day reskim a nice sorsy of water on the bonding will help controll suction

just move house. it will be easier. my mother in law is selling a caravan on wirral country park if you're interested

just move house. it will be easier. my mother in law is selling a caravan on wirral country park if you're interested

I wouldn't shout it to loud tho. Wirral is over the water. Bit far to be Scouse

An thanks all I'll give it a go

Status
Not open for further replies.