skimming

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

daz1968

when skimming on bonded walls is it best to get first coat on nice and wet and trowel flat before second coating

u dont usually flatten in on bonding ,and your better of relying on the suction really then u wont get them little bubbles ,that's what happens when the bonding is too wet

The bonding will pull it in pretty quick so your best gettin the first coat flatish as you go along. It'll save you going back over it and then just apply second coat straight away depending.

Just get it on fast,second coat straight ontop no waiting around and get it flat as you can,wait for it to pull in first trowel ,second trowel ,wet trowel , wet trowel, dry hard trowel payday.

depends on timing...if it's still green then it'll suck less giving you more time...whereas if you've bonded it the day before you'll have to move faster...and if it was a rush to the boozer on a friday afternoon an its dry you may need to pva it before skim on the monday

when i float a wall in bonding, i normally try and skim it as soon as it goes hard (not dry) this way there will not be to much suction so you can just skim it as you would any other wall. but then there is the case of the bubbles... i found a tip on this forum that if you scrape of the greasy surface of the bonding once it has gone hard with a saw blade then it will stop you getting bubbles, i have tried this and i would say it helps, but you will still get a few. now you can either sponge them out after the first trowel or you can just trowel up as normal and spend a bit more time with the wall when you are on your last trowel to flatten them in ;)

now if your wall has already dried out then you have three options

• . skim it fast like a nutta
    . pva the wall
    . or what i would normally do is give the wall a good soak first then skim it ;)

now ether way the wall will have a bit more suction than normal so you should try and and get it on quite fast, but also pay attention to neatness if you struggle getting it on neat then you can always give it a quick trowel but this shouldn't be necessary as long as the floating coat is nice and flat. ;)

hope this helps mate

just f**k**g skim it ???.............bubbles is a load of b*ll***s ive had them skimming board, bonding, bonding next day without wetting it down.............bonding the next day wetted down hardwall same day day after .............you either get them or you dont

oh, ok sorry lads :-\ just fukin skim it, just fukin skim anythin... dont stop at doors just skim straight over the f**k**s and if you get bubbles just charge more and say that they a a feature, like spunky said ;) an if the woman's dog gets in the way just fukin skim that too ;D

kirk johnstone said:
oh, ok sorry lads :-\ just (french word invented by a german) skim it, just (french word invented by a german) skim anythin... dont stop at doors just skim straight over the (french word)ers and if you get bubbles just charge more and say that they a a feature, like spunky said ;) an if the woman's dog gets in the way just (french word invented by a german) skim that too ;D
yeah just do wot u fcuking like lads :-X

I worked with a spread who showed me a good trick with bubble, blisters, pimples whatever you like to call em when the skim starts to pick up rub your trowel flat in the area that is affecting and they seem to disapear pretty quick ;) if it dont work first time it will by the end of the set, if that fails give it a dry un in the morning :)

Bod said:
I worked with a spread who showed me a good trick with bubble, blisters, pimples whatever you like to call em when the skim starts to pick up rub your trowel flat in the area that is affecting and they seem to disapear pretty quick ;) if it dont work first time it will by the end of the set, if that fails give it a dry un in the morning :)
Ive seen that one. Just rubbin em with your hand works as well ;)

kirk johnstone said:
oh, ok sorry lads :-\ just (french word invented by a german) skim it, just (french word invented by a german) skim anythin... dont stop at doors just skim straight over the (french word)ers and if you get bubbles just charge more and say that they a a feature, like spunky said ;) an if the woman's dog gets in the way just (french word invented by a german) skim that too ;D

kirk... you going for the 'comedian of the forum' trophy or something mate...??
never thought anything on this forum would make me laugh, but i have been proven wrong!

pure class... good come-back!

I found that if you just leave the bubbles, you can go back the next day with a belt sander and flatten them out within a few hours ;D

if you find that you are gonna get bubbles put a few flicks of water on the area and then with a wet plastic float scour the area then leave till next trowel they will go good for thick bits round door frames aswell

grand wizard said:
if you find that you are gonna get bubbles put a few flicks of water on the area and then with a wet plastic float scour the area then leave till next trowel they will go good for thick bits round door frames aswell

sounds good,might give that a go, if i cant get rid of 'em on the final hard trowel
with the trowel at a near 90* angle to the wall, i go back over them the following
morning with the back of the trowel,

CORRECTION :I always think to meself i will go back on 'em the following morning
but when it comes to it i think, Ah boll1x to it. Its good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.