skimming walls with brick fire place

Status
Not open for further replies.

basset

Hi
this is my second post, thanks to everyone who helped with my last one!
Im slowly doing my house up and its going ok so far!:rolleyes)

The next item on my list is to skim the walls in my living room.my question is:

- I have a brick fire place (not an open fire) in my living room can i just plaster up to the edge of the bricks?any tips for this? or is it a case of just taking my time around the edge of the bricks?Do you think some masking tape would help protect the edges and save abit of time cleaning up at the end?

Thanks for your time guys!!

p.s. I hope this makes sense!

From the sounds of it, and i may have this wrong from your description, but id stick thincoat stop beads up tight to the brick and skim to that. Sort out the gap between bead and motar joints after.

I'd just skim up to them then brush it in. You might need to get the corner of the toe of your trowel in there too.

Thanks for that guys!

i do have another question now!lol!

I have stripped off all the wall paper and one wall is pritty bad and uneven (plaster has come away from the render, also render is a little un-even)?could i make flat by using mutli finish or should i use some thistle browning or bonding?
What is the difference between those two, i had a look online and couldnt really see the difference?

Once again thanks for your help!!!

multi finish is a finishing plaster, bonding/browning/hardwall are backing plasters

sounds this wall could be an external wall. That's probably why it was sand and cemented.

If you use a gypsum based backing plaster on an external wall you run the risk of damp coming through. That's if the backing coat of sand and cement had been compromised in some way.

I had to deal with some damp on a wall in the summer. It was an external wall. The backing plaster was sand and cement. I hacked off as much of the plaster around the damp patch as I could. And what do you know, someone had patched the existing sand and cement with bonding. So the damp was still coming through the single skin wall. I brushed some SBR cement slurry on and mixed up some dri-coat - cos it was more convenient than knocking up some sand and cement with waterproofer. The next day I skimmed it. There's been no sign of damp since.

Thanks thats really helped and cleared a few things up for me!

Just one other thing, its not actually an external wall as theres another house joining. So would it be ok to use one of the backing plasters?or would you stick with the dri-coat?

Also (last thing,lol) had the window replaced and the render around it has cracked and sounds blown where they changed it, my plan for this bit was to get rid of all the blown stuff until it is solid and then just repatch and then skim?maybe now using that dri-coat or backing plaster?

once again cheers

in that case, i'd hardwall it, rule it flat, skim the same day. Since you don't sound like a plasterer, I'd pva the hardwall before you skim.

Status
Not open for further replies.