Skimming over Lath & Plaster walls

Members online

ctethompson

Good Afternoon all.

New to the forum and looking for a little advice.

This is probably more a decorators question than a plasterers, but I thought someone may have an opinion on it.

I just skimmed over a couple of my daughters bedroom lath & plaster walls prior to redecorating as a couple had some bodge repairs done in the past.

My question is this - should the walls now have lining paper before painting, or just paint.

Been involved with plastering for a while now but never see how the decorators treat the plaster after we have been.

All cracks were taped before skimming - do they usually show through again if not lining papered?

Cheers.

Good Afternoon all.

New to the forum and looking for a little advice.

This is probably more a decorators question than a plasterers, but I thought someone may have an opinion on it.

I just skimmed over a couple of my daughters bedroom lath & plaster walls prior to redecorating as a couple had some bodge repairs done in the past.

My question is this - should the walls now have lining paper before painting, or just paint.

Been involved with plastering for a while now but never see how the decorators treat the plaster after we have been.

All cracks were taped before skimming - do they usually show through again if not lining papered?

Cheers.

Welcome along

1548713742847.png

Cheers guys - my query was really whether or not cracks usually come back through the new skim on a lath and plaster wall. Don't mind a couple of hairlines showing up but don't want it looking back like a road map after a few months.

If the lathes are solid and tight no . If there spring in them well more than likely you'll get cracks . Been a better job to strip off the lathes and plaster board it

Yep would like to have stripped it back really but it's a rental and was just wanting to tidy a couple of the walls up before painting. Back there tonight to start on the decorating so think I'll chance painting them. Cheers.

Cheers guys - my query was really whether or not cracks usually come back through the new skim on a lath and plaster wall. Don't mind a couple of hairlines showing up but don't want it looking back like a road map after a few months.

If the cracks were many and big then YES put lining paper on. I stopped skimming bad ones a few year ago now and, recommend 're boarding or over boarding where possible.