Skimming on fire line plasterboard (pink board)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's everything that skimming on normal board isn't. Greasy, wet on surface but going off underneath etc etc. horrible. Basically what I want to know is do you do anything different on fire board than normal and if so what? I done a normal one today and it was lovely then I did pink ceiling and it was rank

Are you using board finish or multi? You could try using the opposite one. Although I don't think it would make much difference but worth a try.

I find that the first coat doesn't pull in as fast on fireline boards, probably due to their higher density, so try leaving it pick up a bit more before topping it off. If you are using the same mix to second coat with wet it down so it slips nicely over rather than dragging the base caot around.

Try opening a few windows ( if possible) and get some air flow in there. May help draw the water from the surface. If the buildings cold and damp, thats common on those boards.

paint thin coat of PVA on the board. I've never do this. But it will help you. does not make a difference to me what kind of plasterboard.

i would say give a quick coat of pva, or put ur first coat on then flattern it staight away, then put ur second coat on. may help,

sure its not just the cold rowland? ive used fireline plenty of times and cant tell any difference when skimming. i have however been sitting round for hours waiting for skim to go off in the last few days due to the weather

Dries in quicker on fire line. Builder we used to work for over ordered on fire line so decided to use it up anyways on ceilings. The fire line half of the ceilings shot off rapids but the finish hung round a lot longer on the ordinary boards. We ended up Pva ing the fire line to make em go off at same speed. When we used to do smaller jobs on knock for him we used to convince him that it was a fire reg to use fire line :RpS_laugh:

Big hits- o dri nary board. :RpS_thumbup:

Eddie I'm skimming standard board on ceilings thats going off quicker than soundcheck because it was left on site in-between houses I've never noticed the difference meself

We did a restaurant a few years back with 3 x 120m2 ceilings in fire check board. 1st one we Pva d it cos I reckoned it would be easier (3 + 1 gang) And it went in nicely. Next one the other lads said "feck it, no Pva. Aaarrrgh. 3rd one we PVA d :RpS_biggrin:

The only time ive pva'd board was on blue boards and for some reason they were just sucking the s**t out of it and if we hadn't of pva'd it would of just crazed like f*ck.

The weird thing was on the site we were on it was only on the lighter coloured blue boards i just presumed they had been water damaged in some way?

ive only ever pvad fireline once on a 75m2 ceilin but i only did it cos it was just me and a lab, went in nice though:RpS_thumbsup:

Im skimming on site fireline on ceilings plain on external walls blue on studs and green in bogs. theres no difference on any of the boards

A lot of different opinions there. I've done a couple of weeks of skimming on fire line boards now and have come up with my solution. First coat on then quick flatten just to level out, then flatten again to a really nice finish, then second coat like normal and just wait till ready for flatten then trowel up as normal. May sound silly but getting that first coat nice is important IMO in order to get the final product nice. I would be interested if anyone else agrees with my madness? I'm guessing people are gonna say to me why not just not flatten first coat twice and just flatten once when firmed up, but for me it's just quite hard work getting nicely flat at that point.

i personaly have never found a difference between the plasterboard types when skimming

I find that the first coat doesn't pull in as fast on fireline boards, probably due to their higher density, so try leaving it pick up a bit more before topping it off. If you are using the same mix to second coat with wet it down so it slips nicely over rather than dragging the base caot around.
Does mixing the finish up again with water not set it off even quicker Danny??

Depends how long you leave it before remixing. If it is really starting to stiffen up in the bucket then it needs to be thrown.

If it's a pretty big set I try to mix just enough for the first coat, no point putting yourself under pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.