Skimming nightmare

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello lads hope you're all well.
I'm currently on a old, empty house, no central heating but all the windows are in. it's pretty cold so I've set up a few Cali gas heaters. I used WBA and pva 50.50 on the old silked Walls in a few rooms last night.. Started skimming this morning.. Going in absolutely terrible, dragging, tiger stripes the lot!! I set down and put a tight coat over the top.. Still terrible. Eventually ready for a dry trowel but just peels as I try, it looks as if it's drying out going patchy but it's still wet and as i try to trowel it will just peel.
I'm not sure if it's the silk surface I'm going on, my heaters causing condensation or just because it's so cold.
Any suggestions lads anybody having anything similar in this cold weather??
My arm is goosed off all the troweling.

Try a plastic trowel mate and use it to cross trowel it it could be because it's so cold my sets have been greasy im giving it two dry trowels and a wet then wet cross trowel then a plastic fantastico or you've just opened the first winter batch where it all goes tits up

Its probly condensation underneath the pva as it will sit on top of silk paint and get trapped between the wall and pva

Why have you mixed wba with pva wba is sbr pva water and sand so adding pva is pointless cos its already been premixed infact it will make the wba too neat and cause it to peel thus your problem

that's what i was thinking, don't quite know how a polymer and pva will mix. Maybe if you add a little pva it'll go a bit further, I just add a bit of water when it gets a bit thick.

Sounds like your first coat is set too much for your second with the peeling. Setting times seem to a bit slow at the moment so just putting on bigger sets or we have been putting on a set flatten then wack another set on like a rolling set that seems to be working better with this cold weather.

Why have you mixed wba with pva wba is sbr pva water and sand so adding pva is pointless cos its already been premixed infact it will make the wba too neat and cause it to peel thus your problem
b*ll***s

id have mixed the pva a bit thicker and give it time till it was a bit tacky then skimmed it using the brush with every trowel up

wba is too thick and it goes nowhere so I add watered down pva to it. I've done this for years and never had a problem. its hard to explain. even when the finish is drying out and has went dark its still wet and greasy.

Your first coat has set or your not layin on thick enough or takin too much off or your F*****g about with the bonding agent but im not sure.

Hello lads hope you're all well.
I'm currently on a old, empty house, no central heating but all the windows are in. it's pretty cold so I've set up a few Cali gas heaters. I used WBA and pva 50.50 on the old silked Walls in a few rooms last night.. Started skimming this morning.. Going in absolutely terrible, dragging, tiger stripes the lot!! I set down and put a tight coat over the top.. Still terrible. Eventually ready for a dry trowel but just peels as I try, it looks as if it's drying out going patchy but it's still wet and as i try to trowel it will just peel.
I'm not sure if it's the silk surface I'm going on, my heaters causing condensation or just because it's so cold.
Any suggestions lads anybody having anything similar in this cold weather??
My arm is goosed off all the troweling.

Might be wallpaper paste on the walls, if the case, fook all will stick to it until you wash the paste off

If the house is old it could be lead based paint, i had this years ago and it was a complete mare.Ended up having to scutch all the walls to get a good key.But sounds like you 1st coats gone to far if its peeling, try smaller sets, and go straight on with ya 2nd coat, or try some multi from a differrent supplier.

the reason its going greasy is because the water in the skim wont go into the background and has to come out somewhere ie the surface you need more ventilation warrior is right get rid of the heaters its causing the problem with the peeling

I would not add pva to wba try artex sealer and why not on your first coat let it take uo sponge off then apply normal coats of skim and see how you go on this way.

I reckon your wba/pva mixture hadn't dried enough to take a coat of plaster - and as warrior says, get shot of the calor gas heaters, get the windows open to help the drying. A couple of oil-filled rads will give you plenty of 'dry heat' :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.