skimming inbetween architrives

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

timmo72

hi guys wots the best wat to get your skim down the 3-4 inch gap that you usually find between 2 bedroom doors or when u usually find lots of doors situated together .. i have a midget trowel but sometimes thats even to big for the gaps . seem to waste more time skimming this gap than doing the rest of the wall and never get it 100% right . :-?

49652.jpg

margin trowels

51136.jpg

small tool

or you could get a cheap midget trowel and cut/grind each side down to make it slimmer

me neither untill now, just popped into my head ;D might have to give it a go

the small tools generally called a 'leaf and square' handy in real tight spots...
skimming a 2 inch gap is never easy..
the BEST way is to remove the architraves... skirting boards are a bit more tricky to get off in one peice if your not replacing them but architraves are easy...
you need to put it to the customer and price for it though...
remove with a chisel, score the back edge to avoid yanking plaster off (although your gonna skim it anyway)
this applies to nailed on archies btw...
tease em off al the way down, dont try and take the top off then the bottom, youll split em...
when theyre off (and this is the clever bit) use a pair of grips (dogs, moles, pliers, whatever) and pull the nails through the BACK of the architrave... this way you dont leave huge splinters in the front from tryin to knock em through....
leave the corners mitred (cos they'll be nailed together anyway, so youve taken all three sides at once geddit?)
stack em somewhere and remember (notate) which door they came off..
stick em back on with gripfill when youre done, the slight gap your left with you fill with acrylic decor filler (painters mate, whatever)
better job, easier to work on but price for it or it aint worth it...
if your gonna do the same with the skirtings.. good luck cos youve about a 50 percent chance of splitting the bloody lot, depends how well theyre fixed... usually a replacement job... and a job for a joiner unless your handy with a chopsaw and know a butt and scribe joint from a mitre joint ;)

the small tools generally called a 'leaf and square' handy in real tight spots...
skimming a 2 inch gap is never easy..
the BEST way is to remove the architraves... skirting boards are a bit more tricky to get off in one peice if your not replacing them but architraves are easy...
you need to put it to the customer and price for it though...
remove with a chisel, score the back edge to avoid yanking plaster off (although your gonna skim it anyway)
this applies to nailed on archies btw...
tease em off al the way down, dont try and take the top off then the bottom, youll split em...
when theyre off (and this is the clever bit) use a pair of grips (dogs, moles, pliers, whatever) and pull the nails through the BACK of the architrave... this way you dont leave huge splinters in the front from tryin to knock em through....
leave the corners mitred (cos they'll be nailed together anyway, so youve taken all three sides at once geddit?)
stack em somewhere and remember (notate) which door they came off..
stick em back on with gripfill when youre done, the slight gap your left with you fill with acrylic decor filler (painters mate, whatever)
better job, easier to work on but price for it or it aint worth it...
if your gonna do the same with the skirtings.. good luck cos youve about a 50 percent chance of splitting the bloody lot, depends how well theyre fixed... usually a replacement job... and a job for a joiner unless your handy with a chopsaw and know a butt and scribe joint from a mitre joint  ;)

I always offer to take off the skirt and architrave but never offer to put it back on. Be interested to know what everyone else does. Most of the jobs I do the customer is having new stuff on anyway. Same with radiators, I'll take them off at a push but leave them off so they can paint the wall. That's my excuse anyway ;) ;D

do u find doing in between them a bit of a pain mrspoon

ive never hasd to go between 2 architraves yet luckily, tho i may have a bash at taking one off at home for when i have to do it for a customer, mines damaged anyway so needs replacing :)

Had a couple last week just sanded down in between about 60mm this gap, not worth the effort. I know have made a few tools to do this without much success. Ideas please :p owt above 5in is OK just run trowel down it turns out so-so, 60mm is cack.

49652.jpg

margin trowels

51136.jpg

small tool

or you could get a cheap midget trowel and cut/grind each side down to make it slimmer

Bought these and binned them, you know when somethings not right, bent, polished and ground them, waste of time, rusted to fook, stainless for me, every-time.

Totally agree with segs, get them off. Its a better finish and quicker to work with. After all the door facings were put on after the original plastering was done, tell the customer this and they're fine. I find margin trowels ok but its never as good a finish as using your normal trowel.

if the walls in good nick you can marry the plaster into the wall above the architrave ............sometimes pis*ing about with margin trowels will make it worse ;)

if the walls in good nick you can marry the plaster into the wall above the architrave ............sometimes pis*ing about with margin trowels will make it worse  ;)
;)

Agree with Nicksy, i've done that a few times, fade it in above top facing. What i don't understand is when the customer is spending good money to get thier house/room refurbished why don't they do everything. For example we do work for a kitchen company and they charge 5 figures for the kitchens but when we come in to plaster they've ripped out the old kitchen but left the old skirtings and facings on. We're supposed to work to these and get a finish(and we do) but how much would it cost to rip them off and replace? not much! If i was spending good money i'd want the place looking s**t hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.